What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

So, where are all the golf nuts hiding?

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played a 9 hole, 2 man scramble night tournament Friday night. Balls were shit. These were the ones that light up when you hit them. Went through 7 balls between me and my partner, at $10 a piece..
Had three tee shots that went out as soon as I hit them. Found two of them close to the greens. (Both were par 3's)
Had to club up 2 clubs, due to the shitty balls. We had 3 teams per tee, and in our group alone, we dented 2 drivers and 1 3 wood. One driver was a 2 week old Sim 2. Luckily none of my clubs were damaged.
Great idea in theory, horrible in practice..
Turned in a 7 over 42. Won $180.
Half the teams didn't turn their cards in.
They're planning some more night tournaments this year, and I found some 90 compression, eurethane covered glow balls called a Glow-v1.
They need an IR light to charge them. Anyone have any experience with them?
Link to balls

That sounds both fun AND shitty - night golf - fun, breaking clubs and shitty balls - not so much fun.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played a few times this weekend.

Saturday shot a 90. It went like this .. 49 on the front 9. 41 on the back ... WTF.

Yesterday shot a 92. 43 on the front - 49 on the back.

These damn 49s!!! either way neither day was horrible - weather was perfect. Cannot complain.

I did get the demo Sub70s but I grabbed MBs instead of CBs in the 639s. I liked them quite a bit (lofts were jacked tho) BUT being MBs mishits weren't fun - they weren't horrible, just not fun. I had recognized my mistake after they shipped so I do have the 639 CBs coming for demo. But I figured I'd try the MBs out.

If I do end up going with these I will probably get a combo - the CB/MB combo for the 639s.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Still playing a lot of golf, but lost my swing completely the past couple of weeks. Played yesterday with a buddy from work, and he straightened my swing back out, although today's score didn't reflect that. Made some real solid iron shots, just couldn't buy a putt.
Came 10 inches from dunking an ace on the par 3 16, 122 yards today

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played last weekend - had the 6 and 9 Sub 70 demo 639 CBs in play too.

They're a bit hotter than my AP2s (lofts are a bit jacked) so i have to be careful with them. Hit a few good shots and the feel on them was great. Probably going to call the owner and talk shafts a bit.

As usual I was jekyl and hyde. This time it was on the par 5s though. Sucked on ALL of them :(

Oh well - family trip this weekend. And then golf trip coming up in about three weeks. I'll get a few more rounds in before it (probably 2-3 tops). I might finally pull my net and hitting platform out and get some extra swings in.

I really want to pick one of these new devices up Garmin Approach® R10 | Portable Golf Launch Monitor

Decent data - a lot of it is calculated instead of actually measured. But Im more looking for something repeatable. Tech is finally getting there to where launch monitors are getting close to being able to track all of the data in an affordable manner.

(GC2 and Trackman are still the only real way to go still if you want everything)

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
@mitetak i thought you had a rapsado?
nope i have nothing - the rapsodo is CLOSE - but no android support AND i only hit into nets - and they dont draw ball flight when hitting into a net. so if my wife can't see where her ball would go - its useless to her. and getting her on board makes it easier to justify :)

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
nope i have nothing - the rapsodo is CLOSE - but no android support AND i only hit into nets - and they dont draw ball flight when hitting into a net. so if my wife can't see where her ball would go - its useless to her. and getting her on board makes it easier to justify :)

Have you found any reviews on these yet? From anyone legit like GolfSpy etc?

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Have you found any reviews on these yet? From anyone legit like GolfSpy etc?
not yet - they haven't officially released yet so it'll be a bit. end of July / Early Aug we should start seeing them.

biggest hit against them is the calculated data. they basically take tables from Foresight/Trackman of data - and then take the numbers they DO know - compare against the table and display the "most likely" outcome for the rest of the data.

Its generally pretty accurate - but just not the same.

For six hundred bucks tho - its going to be the best you get at that price point I think

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
not yet - they haven't officially released yet so it'll be a bit. end of July / Early Aug we should start seeing them.

biggest hit against them is the calculated data. they basically take tables from Foresight/Trackman of data - and then take the numbers they DO know - compare against the table and display the "most likely" outcome for the rest of the data.

Its generally pretty accurate - but just not the same.

For six hundred bucks tho - its going to be the best you get at that price point I think

600$ vs 20k$, if its even close ill buy one. There is a thread going on MGS and one or 2 of the MGS staff have pre ordered a few.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
600$ vs 20k$, if its even close ill buy one. There is a thread going on MGS and one or 2 of the MGS staff have pre ordered a few.
yep im waiting on the MGS review - remember you can compare it to the Mevo+ and the Skytrak too. so 600 vs 2k really.

and the mevo/skytrak do less calculating as well so they *should* be more accurate.

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
34af665c9e2556c5a6f070216e2c0aff.jpg

bd7266c7bfe6c0c9379a356e6522c583.jpg

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The thing about DeChambeau is, is that he is either winning or whining.
His red ass this week was because he couldn't just spray and pray off the tee box. They hadn't mowed that rough in 2 years. Perfect defense against players like him. I hope Cobra drops him.
And Brooks is the consumate troll, with his little, "I love my driver" quip.
Good stuff

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Let us know how the graphite shafts do. I've been wanting to try some.

Played Sunday with them. Enjoyed them a lot. Little higher launch than my other set, but not bad. Playing 1 maybe 2 clubs longer as well. Only thing that has surprised me is that i have to remind myself they are irons. Seeing the shaft at address makes me sorta swing more like a fairway or hybrid sometimes and thats bad lol. Pretty happy thus far, but its early. Elbow was pretty happy at the end of round, so thats good.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So I pulled the trigger on a set of UST Recoil graphite shafts today. These are pullout, but look to be in great shape. Paid $100 for a set of 9.
Read a lot of good things about them and for the price, why not.
Add $50 install and another $60 for new grips. Installing them in my Ping G400's. Have finally given up on the PXGs. They're just not for me. Gonna trade them in on a new driver soon.

Will post up my thoughts after I play a couple rounds with the shafts

EDIT: For those curious about what shafts exactly, here's the info:
UST Recoil ESX 460 F3 Regular Flex

Last edited: