What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

So, where are all the golf nuts hiding?

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I don't care how far you hit it - play from the tees that let you score the best and once that gets "easy" move back one set, rinse and repeat until you find your limit.

i can easily play from the back tees on nearly any course from a distance perspective - I do not. Comfortable for me is about 6500 yards, and I still usually stick to about 6000. It "helps" (@WNYTony can attest that my game isn't great still!).

My dad who can't hit any club more than 150 on a good day refuses to play from the forward tees like he should and gives up minimum 18-20 strokes a round
You just need more play Tim. But you know that - you said it. Swing is all good just need a little more feel which comes from playing more often. Tough to do with young kids, been there done that. But you got game and aren't far off from stringing back to back 42's together. I don't know what that whole "happy to break 100" was about but I never bought it anyway !

Great progress @Tyler86 that's a serious handicap drop in a year. Maybe I need to come out and train at that facility !

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Ive been fighting my driver a lot this year. Moving tee hights, ball location at adress etc. Been playing a game at the range with it. 5 left, 5 right and 5 center. Its sorta of reset me. Ive also found that when i try to kill it or swing up on it too much, i have a tendency to leave the face open. Spotting ball a little closer to center has been huge for me.

For me I generally swing "too" hard most of the time :) If I laid even 5% off my driver I'd probably be fine!

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
For me I generally swing "too" hard most of the time :) If I laid even 5% off my driver I'd probably be fine!

Lotta pros would say theres no such thing as “too hard” they want all the club head speed and power they can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Lotta pros would say theres no such thing as “too hard” they want all the club head speed and power they can get.

I have a day job for a reason :D

Also if I practiced as much as they do I wouldn't have the issues I do when I swing full

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
You can only swing as hard as you still have control. Most golfers would benefit by sacrificing a little distance for better control and ball positioning

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
You certainly do, I still think you should be tested after some of those drives I witnessed

You know I didn't know the Thruway was so close to that course we played

HAH! there are two courses here that are super close to 90! Mill Creek and one down south east (Ravenwood runs along 90 as well).

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
@mitetak if youre swinging super fast/hard shaft technology has gotten crazy. They are available in different torque/twist ratings as well as flex. It may be worth it to see a fitter. My buddy had a hard time with his driver and hes a fast swing. Saw a fitter, different shaft. Hes hitting 80% fairways now with driver at about 305 carry

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
@mitetak if youre swinging super fast/hard shaft technology has gotten crazy. They are available in different torque/twist ratings as well as flex. It may be worth it to see a fitter. My buddy had a hard time with his driver and hes a fast swing. Saw a fitter, different shaft. Hes hitting 80% fairways now with driver at about 305 carry

I don't think Tim likes it in the fairway

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

Oh it's not the shaft - it's my swing :) I'm just super inconsistent.

I do need a new fitting though, it's been about five years. I do a lot of my own club work and I keep up with the tech for sure. Just haven't gotten around to getting out to a local fitter.

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Shot an awful 87 this morning but thankfully my opponent in my Club Championship match played worse than I did.
Got the new irons in Saturday, threw new grips on and played them today. I like them and hit them well, when I made good contact. Going to take a little bit to get used to them though. They are lighter than my old clubs and the offset and lofts are a little different so I need to dial them in for distance and accuracy. Didn't hit many greens in reg today and that hurt the score.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played 9 Friday afternoon and 9 after work yesterday. Shot 38 and 39, respectively. Hit them pretty well yesterday with the exception of the first hole, in which I didnt play the fairway at all.
Ribs are still bothering me a little, but can only feel it during a swing, and it doesnt seem to be aggravating them by playing. Back to working 80hrs OT a month, so playing will be limited, which should actually help.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played 18 Saturday. It was up in the air whether or not I'd get out. Had appliances being delivered between 8 and noon. FIgured a 230 afternoon round would be no problem. Appliance guys showed up around 10 (yay!). By the time they left the only thing installed was the oven. All of the old appliances / spaces were "standard" size. BUT in a house built in the 50s - standard then doesn't quite match standard now :( So the bracket for mounting the microwave didn't fit with the way our backsplash is, the dishwasher was hardwired and they wont touch electrical, the fridge was too tall.

So I'm literally stressing my face off on Saturday - trying to sort all of it out. Dishwasher is no big deal - I installed the previous one - so i took care of that (although it's still not under the counter), Fridge and microwave I need to gain 1/8" or less. For the microwave I decided to shim the bracket out instead of trying to gain space on the backsplash and the fridge we need to take a planer to the bottom of the cabinets.

But yeah by 2pm on Saturday I was in no state of mind to be golfing (and making no progress on our mess of a kitchen). I went anyways because I needed to not think.

Shot a 91 - 43/48 - which is weird because I usually play better on the back nine most days.

The front was nice - was even par through four holes thanks to an eagle (first or second eagle ever). Hit a beautiful draw around a corner on a par five that bounced and rolled out leaving me 180ish to the green, put it about six feet out and made the putt.

The back nine I got a bit loose I think. Either way - golfed, almost melted in the heat - played reasonably well!

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played 18 Saturday. It was up in the air whether or not I'd get out. Had appliances being delivered between 8 and noon. FIgured a 230 afternoon round would be no problem. Appliance guys showed up around 10 (yay!). By the time they left the only thing installed was the oven. All of the old appliances / spaces were "standard" size. BUT in a house built in the 50s - standard then doesn't quite match standard now :( So the bracket for mounting the microwave didn't fit with the way our backsplash is, the dishwasher was hardwired and they wont touch electrical, the fridge was too tall.

So I'm literally stressing my face off on Saturday - trying to sort all of it out. Dishwasher is no big deal - I installed the previous one - so i took care of that (although it's still not under the counter), Fridge and microwave I need to gain 1/8" or less. For the microwave I decided to shim the bracket out instead of trying to gain space on the backsplash and the fridge we need to take a planer to the bottom of the cabinets.

But yeah by 2pm on Saturday I was in no state of mind to be golfing (and making no progress on our mess of a kitchen). I went anyways because I needed to not think.

Shot a 91 - 43/48 - which is weird because I usually play better on the back nine most days.

The front was nice - was even par through four holes thanks to an eagle (first or second eagle ever). Hit a beautiful draw around a corner on a par five that bounced and rolled out leaving me 180ish to the green, put it about six feet out and made the putt.

The back nine I got a bit loose I think. Either way - golfed, almost melted in the heat - played reasonably well!
Any upgrades to the kitchen, in my experience, are a royal pain in the ass. Good that you got to go play though

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Got out tonight after work. Trying to get in shape for this weekend's Member-Guest and helping my league partner get ready for his Club Championship match tomorrow. Hit the ball pretty good - getting used to the new irons. 7 over 78 with a triple on the first hole. Had a 95 yard hole out for par on a long par 3 after washing my tee shot in the creek. Yep, you can par from anywhere lol

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played 9 last night - shot a 44. two hideous swings earned me a few penalties. Putted well and my wedges were in good shape. Probably should've shot closer to 42 or so but I'll take it

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
What wedges are you guys playing? Ive been playing second hand SM6 (3 in the bag). They’re due for replacement. Picked up a MG2 today to experiment with and looking hard at the new ZipCore. Will probably pick up a ZipCore in a few weeks to experiment with also.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
What wedges are you guys playing? Ive been playing second hand SM6 (3 in the bag). They’re due for replacement. Picked up a MG2 today to experiment with and looking hard at the new ZipCore. Will probably pick up a ZipCore in a few weeks to experiment with also.

I'm playing the Cleveland CB2 cavity back wedges. Generally hit mine closer to the toe, and these has a bunch of forgiveness being CB.

EDIT: They are the CBX, not the CB2.
15962176348996626209969168603073.jpg

Last edited: