What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

So, where are all the golf nuts hiding?

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
@WNYTony

I went to the range today - how would you score this?
c049e38b825b38ac31003aee6aefd967.gif
Definitely needs help but nothing we can't fix !

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Lol. My swing feels like that at times.
Went and played 18 this morning. Ribs are still tender, but I just clubbed up 1 for each shot and swung easy. Didnt break any course records, but feel confident that I can play again. My first 2 par 3s, I was within 4 feet of the hole with the tee shot. 1 was 148, the other 162. Sadly, that was the highlights of the round

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played yesterday - last minute - wasn't planning on it. Thumb is still sore. Feel it on the tee box - but it was nothing like it had been. It was sore during the swing and fine otherwise.

Did NOT play good. But I had no expectations - I played golf and thats what matters!

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Ha - looking forward to it and I'm sure I'll learn something, even if it's a new Four letter word !

I got lots of those - You'll also see parts of the course you didn't know existed (i'm not sure the grounds crew knows they exist).

This course can be hit or miss - they were great for a long time - then got bought and some years are better than others - I'm interested to see what kind of shape its in - I haven't been there yet this year.

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Awesome time on the links today with @mitetak Played a links style course up his way, and as predicted the playing lesson helped. Shot 87 on Saturday at my home course, but today with the playing lesson and Tim's coaching I found my swing and came in at 80 on a course I've never played.

Thanks for the invite and hospitality Tim. We thoroughly enjoyed the course and the company. Hope to do it again in the future bud.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hey @Redneck_toy I hope he's owned up to it - but he left at least two balls on the course for people to find!

As for my game - I shot 49/41 - that 41 included four over on the last two holes soo it should've even been better.

I left three balls on the course in the first three holes. Was a great time with Tony and his buddy Rick!

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Hey @Redneck_toy I hope he's owned up to it - but he left at least two balls on the course for people to find!

As for my game - I shot 49/41 - that 41 included four over on the last two holes soo it should've even been better.

I left three balls on the course in the first three holes. Was a great time with Tony and his buddy Rick!
As in I only left 2 balls there. Can't lose these anywhere near as fast as Titleist !

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Just swapped out a few shafts yesterday.

Got some pre-release Rapid Taper shafts from XCaliber via thehackersparadise.com

Three of them to be exact so I put them into my 3i, 7i and 52 wedge. Gonna see how they do.

They were parallel tip shafts versus the taper tip irons i have. So I had to shave them down a bit. With any luck I don't have a head go flying!

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played Rio Grande Golf Course Tuesday. $140 green fee. 5 Miller Lites was $27. They even have a guy at the end scrubbing your clubs, $20.
Shot a 95. Came today to Pagosa Springs GC.
$55. It's a 27 hole course, and got turned around. Played 6 of one course, 6 of another, and finished up on the right 9. Too fucking drunk to drive back, but thank God my wife, daughter, and her friend are in town. Had to call for a designated driver. I'm a pussy, I know, but 8 beers later in this altitude changed my mind.
Played pretty decent until around 5 beers....
Pretty good time, but got my ass kicked by a 72 YO on the last three holes. Big surprise.

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Took the day off to play in a little tournament. Hit it so-so and blew one out on the 18th tee but managed an 82 which was good enough for 2nd on the handicap side.

Prior to tee time I hit our local golf shop and pulled the trigger on a new set of Callaway Mavrik irons. Hopefully they'll be here in a few weeks so I can get some play in before the season ends.

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Took the day off to play in a little tournament. Hit it so-so and blew one out on the 18th tee but managed an 82 which was good enough for 2nd on the handicap side.

Prior to tee time I hit our local golf shop and pulled the trigger on a new set of Callaway Mavrik irons. Hopefully they'll be here in a few weeks so I can get some play in before the season ends.

Finally trading up on the ,Nike?, irons? Win anything good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Finally trading up on the ,Nike?, irons? Win anything good?

Yes, I figure 15 years or so is long enough and time to upgrade. I don't hit these bad or anything but technology changes so maybe they will help.
One of my kids is looking to get his hands on the old Nikes as he's taking up golf and wants something decent so that played into it. Of course I'm not giving them up until I know I can hit the new ones pretty well !
Nah, it was just a $10 throw in and I wound up with $20 back. They paid 3 or 4 on the scratch side and also on the handicap side.

Hacked my way to an 84 today, but I smoked a La Barba One and Only you sent me in a trade and it was killer good. Thanks buddy.

How the hell you hitting it ? That Tiger Woods level backyard training facility you got helping out ?

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Yes, I figure 15 years or so is long enough and time to upgrade. I don't hit these bad or anything but technology changes so maybe they will help.
One of my kids is looking to get his hands on the old Nikes as he's taking up golf and wants something decent so that played into it. Of course I'm not giving them up until I know I can hit the new ones pretty well !
Nah, it was just a $10 throw in and I wound up with $20 back. They paid 3 or 4 on the scratch side and also on the handicap side.

Hacked my way to an 84 today, but I smoked a La Barba One and Only you sent me in a trade and it was killer good. Thanks buddy.

How the hell you hitting it ? That Tiger Woods level backyard training facility you got helping out ?

I think so. Been shooting mid 85-88 last few rounds. Left 2 eagle putts about 3” short yesterday. Had 4 birdies, 5 par and we wont talk about the others lol. Started playing last august and finished the season at 34.5 handicap. Sitting at 18.4 handicap this year with about 33 rounds in. I have zero complaints about my progression. Playing from the whites like an old man.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I think so. Been shooting mid 85-88 last few rounds. Left 2 eagle putts about 3” short yesterday. Had 4 birdies, 5 par and we wont talk about the others lol. Started playing last august and finished the season at 34.5 handicap. Sitting at 18.4 handicap this year with about 33 rounds in. I have zero complaints about my progression. Playing from the whites like an old man.

I don't care how far you hit it - play from the tees that let you score the best and once that gets "easy" move back one set, rinse and repeat until you find your limit.

i can easily play from the back tees on nearly any course from a distance perspective - I do not. Comfortable for me is about 6500 yards, and I still usually stick to about 6000. It "helps" (@WNYTony can attest that my game isn't great still!).

My dad who can't hit any club more than 150 on a good day refuses to play from the forward tees like he should and gives up minimum 18-20 strokes a round

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played Saturday with the wife and her sister and BIL (different one than you played with @WNYTony).

Shot a 92 - went 49/43 - the 43 had two penalties in it too. Again couldn't really find my driver :(

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Played Saturday with the wife and her sister and BIL (different one than you played with @WNYTony).

Shot a 92 - went 49/43 - the 43 had two penalties in it too. Again couldn't really find my driver :(

Ive been fighting my driver a lot this year. Moving tee hights, ball location at adress etc. Been playing a game at the range with it. 5 left, 5 right and 5 center. Its sorta of reset me. Ive also found that when i try to kill it or swing up on it too much, i have a tendency to leave the face open. Spotting ball a little closer to center has been huge for me.