What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

So, where are all the golf nuts hiding?

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
They opened our area up to carts today !

WAIT WHAT?!?! aren't you officially western NY? last I saw you were behind us "finger lakes" meaning in general you were opening things re: COVID a week or so behind. I wouldn't have expected carts available yet. lucky you! now to wait on this shit weather to pass

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
They opened our course up last week to cart rentals again, despite the skyrocketing CoVid cases in our county. (520 as of yesterday)
Played 18 saturday. Shot low 90's. Still stuck in the middle of a slice and hook.
Hard to get pissed when I'm aimed right of target, and hit a beautiful draw- further right. Frustrating though.
Can just as easily aim straight and slice one left, although the slices are more like fades nowadays

Last edited:

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
They opened our course up last week to cart rentals again, despite the skyrocketing CoVid cases in our county. (520 as of yesterday)
Played 18 saturday. Shot low 90's. Still stuck in the middle of a slice and hook.
Hard to get pissed when I'm aimed right of target, and hit a beautiful draw- further right. Frustrating though.
Can just as easily aim straight and slice one left, although the slices are more like fades nowadays

two way misses are fun! and exactly what I'm fighting. mine is because I'm a goat humper (early extension) and it's gotten bad. my goal this year is to tame that. We'll see if i can get there

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Throw in the occasional pull that goes 20-30 yds long, and it gets real fun. Pretty sure my body turn is way faster with the hook, as my finish is way high, and quite a bit further behind my right shoulder. Feels like a Palmer-like helo finish
Dunno, all feels the same while I'm swinging
EDIT:The 3 or so out of 10 that are straight are a thing of beauty off the tee box ( provided I'm aimed straight....)

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Throw in the occasional pull that goes 20-30 yds long, and it gets real fun. Pretty sure my body turn is way faster with the hook, as my finish is way high, and quite a bit further behind my right shoulder. Feels like a Palmer-like helo finish
Dunno, all feels the same while I'm swinging
EDIT:The 3 or so out of 10 that are straight are a thing of beauty off the tee box ( provided I'm aimed straight....)

hah so I see a few things:

1) a pull that starts left and stays there
2) a relatively straight shot that turns into a steady hook (and i can really feel my hands turn over)
3) a push (while I try to stay down and force the ball to NOT go left)

If I hit it straight its AMAZING.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Kinda- sorta what I'm going through, without all the thought. Lol
I just try to have a good time. Played 9 tonight, and the same things happened. Pulled one OB, sliced a few, and hit one or two straight as could be.
EDIT: My chipping sucked balls. It's usually pretty decent. Really sucks when you tug several chips

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Our league starts on Wed. 1 per cart and foam in the cups so we'll see how this goes. Will be good to be able to get out and not have to walk it though.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Kinda- sorta what I'm going through, without all the thought. Lol
I just try to have a good time. Played 9 tonight, and the same things happened. Pulled one OB, sliced a few, and hit one or two straight as could be.
EDIT: My chipping sucked balls. It's usually pretty decent. Really sucks when you tug several chips

Oh I don't think about it - it just happens enough that I've noticed the trends :) I decided this offseason that I should try to fix it - I've done nothing so far to fix it though :)

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
League night tonight. Hit the ball pretty well for this early in the season. 1 over on 9 tee and I hit a few weak shots, had to lay up and wound up doubling for a 3 over 39.
The foam in the holes definitely helps the scoring, but I'll take it for week 1.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
League night tonight. Hit the ball pretty well for this early in the season. 1 over on 9 tee and I hit a few weak shots, had to lay up and wound up doubling for a 3 over 39.
The foam in the holes definitely helps the scoring, but I'll take it for week 1.
Our cups are flipped over, so they are only an inch deep at most. Only the lightest putts will stay in the hole. We're playing where if it rolls across, it counts. Probably helping our scores as well

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Some courses here have 1/2 cup with foam noodle, minimal impact. Some courses the cup is only cut in 1/2 depth. If it hits it it counts. We’ve been playing if it’s even a question, it counts. Pandemic rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played 9 today at an ok course (its great for the wives - fairly flat and open).

shot an amazing 48. Found my driver tho. Just couldn't find anything else. And its still so wet, slow and generally not mowed that I wasn't super upset.

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Played 18 this morning. Course was extremely wet but we still got out. Hit the ball like crap all day - even had one stick up in a tree. But it was good to get out and as usual the cigar was great.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
The back end of this upcoming week and the weekend look awesome. Tentatively plan on getting out Thursday - and maybe again on the weekend with the wife.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So, knock on wood, it seems like my swing is starting to groove towards straight to draw-ish for the most part. Has been absolutely gorgeous in the Texas Panhandle for the past few days with low to mid 80's and no more than a 5 mph wind. I've played every day since Friday, with me playing 32 or so holes yesterday before I gave it up.
(Thank God for the hot tub, because I was damn sore yesterday evening)
Only let down has been chipping. Went out today and shot a 40- 45 for a respectable 85 overall. Could've easily been high 70's, except for the short game. Really excited with what's happening.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Quick poll:
What grips are you partial to?
Myself, I prefer the corded Golf Pride and such.
Have had the Winn Dri-Tac on the previous set of clubs, and while they felt great at the start, fell flat 6 months in. I know I play way more than the average golfer, but a quick wash with hot soapy water, then air dry, the corded grips seem to bounce back better.
Golf pro is liquidating inventory, and pick up these beauties today for $7/ea. Not a steal, but not bad for pro shop prices:
15898412735556058768330974399754.jpg

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Quick poll:
What grips are you partial to?
Myself, I prefer the corded Golf Pride and such.
Have had the Winn Dri-Tac on the previous set of clubs, and while they felt great at the start, fell flat 6 months in. I know I play way more than the average golfer, but a quick wash with hot soapy water, then air dry, the corded grips seem to bounce back better.
Golf pro is liquidating inventory, and pick up these beauties today for $7/ea. Not a steal, but not bad for pro shop prices:
View attachment 10619

I’m partial to the tour velvet +4. The larger lower portion definitely helps me loosen my grip a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I replace my grips yearly (do it myself) and I move around depending on ... whim really :)

I rocked cords for the last three years or so. But beginning last season I went back to something softer (I forget which without looking at my clubs but like the Winn Dri-Tac)

I also put an EVNROLL Gravity grip on my putter.