What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

So, where are all the golf nuts hiding?

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Regripped all of my clubs last night except for driver and 3w (the care needed with graphite shafts just makes it take longer and it was already nearly 1am). I'll get those done eventually. I had full cords on there and moved back to something super soft / tacky this year (Winn Dri-Tacs) - i think I'll probably end up going with the Golf Pride CP Pro 2s or similar next year and just riding those - so far they've been my overall favorite.

The camaro show

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Regripped all of my clubs last night except for driver and 3w (the care needed with graphite shafts just makes it take longer and it was already nearly 1am). I'll get those done eventually. I had full cords on there and moved back to something super soft / tacky this year (Winn Dri-Tacs) - i think I'll probably end up going with the Golf Pride CP Pro 2s or similar next year and just riding those - so far they've been my overall favorite.
I used to use the cp pro2s they are nice soft grips

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played 18 yesterday morning with my new 20* hybrid. Initial plan was to crank the loft down to 22* to be my 4hybrid, and my 23* cranked down to 24 or 25* for my 5 hybrid. Since i have a 5 hybrid, i moved the 20* to 19 to see if I'd like a 3 hybrid vs. a 5 wood.
I used it 3 times, and two were good solid hits, one going as far as my current 3 wood. So now I'm leaning towards getting another 23* and cranking down to 25* to be my 5 hybrid. That way I'd have a 3,4,and 5 hybrid, then get a new 3 wood. I know I asked Chayse this question, but what is everyone else gaming a hybrid, or 5 wood? I know its personal preference, and which you hit better, but I'd like to hear everyones thoughts. I feel a hybrid is more versatile. I also struggle with consistency with woods length shafts. I've seriously considered a 3 wood shaft for my driver for more consistency. The yardage loss wouldnt be a huge factor if I'm finding more fairways.
EDIT: shot a 90 in a 15 MPH north wind. Not great, but i did chip in from 10-15 yds from the bunker for a birdie on hole 10. My first from the sand. Of course no one was around to see that. Seems they only see me skull them across the green. Lol

Last edited:

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Anyone ever mess with counter weighting their shafts- I.E. lead tape under the grip, not back weighting the head? Seems Nicklaus always did it, as well as a bunch of others. Supposedly it helps you swing faster by raising the balance point of the club.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

The camaro show

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone ever mess with counter weighting their shafts- I.E. lead tape under the grip, not back weighting the head? Seems Nicklaus always did it, as well as a bunch of others. Supposedly it helps you swing faster by raising the balance point of the club.
I’ve done it a few times, never had the results I wanted. When I had my last set of clubs done I did have the swing weight changed and it was a improvement!

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Played 18 yesterday morning with my new 20* hybrid. Initial plan was to crank the loft down to 22* to be my 4hybrid, and my 23* cranked down to 24 or 25* for my 5 hybrid. Since i have a 5 hybrid, i moved the 20* to 19 to see if I'd like a 3 hybrid vs. a 5 wood.
I used it 3 times, and two were good solid hits, one going as far as my current 3 wood. So now I'm leaning towards getting another 23* and cranking down to 25* to be my 5 hybrid. That way I'd have a 3,4,and 5 hybrid, then get a new 3 wood. I know I asked Chayse this question, but what is everyone else gaming a hybrid, or 5 wood? I know its personal preference, and which you hit better, but I'd like to hear everyones thoughts. I feel a hybrid is more versatile. I also struggle with consistency with woods length shafts. I've seriously considered a 3 wood shaft for my driver for more consistency. The yardage loss wouldnt be a huge factor if I'm finding more fairways.
EDIT: shot a 90 in a 15 MPH north wind. Not great, but i did chip in from 10-15 yds from the bunker for a birdie on hole 10. My first from the sand. Of course no one was around to see that. Seems they only see me skull them across the green. Lol

I actually go 3w -> 3iron in my bag so I can't help on that front.

I played Saturday and shot a 103. I literally hit two fairways. Otherwise I was playing sideways punches out of trees all day. It was ... bad

The camaro show

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually go 3w -> 3iron in my bag so I can't help on that front.

I played Saturday and shot a 103. I literally hit two fairways. Otherwise I was playing sideways punches out of trees all day. It was ... bad
We all have those days it’s okay!
There’s a small 9 hole course that’s keep kinda shity and it’s full of trees especially around the greens. I literally can’t play it without punching out of the trees or my ball pluging. It’s like putting on shag carpet too lol.

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0

I just got a 5 wood and dropped out my 3 wood and hybrid which was a 3. So I jump from 4 iron to 5 wood and I'm really liking it so far. I don't mind the extra few yards on the top end for the chance to have another wedge in the bag. Short game's where you score bro.

And since you were always sending me pics of you on the course when I was snowed in up here.......
League Wed night, then off on a 4 day golf weekend. 36 Thurs, 36 Fri, 36 Sat and 18 Sun
Got the 40 count all packed and ready to go !

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I just got a 5 wood and dropped out my 3 wood and hybrid which was a 3. So I jump from 4 iron to 5 wood and I'm really liking it so far. I don't mind the extra few yards on the top end for the chance to have another wedge in the bag. Short game's where you score bro.

And since you were always sending me pics of you on the course when I was snowed in up here.......
League Wed night, then off on a 4 day golf weekend. 36 Thurs, 36 Fri, 36 Sat and 18 Sun
I'd need a 40ct of Ibuprofen to play that much in 4 days! Sounds like fun though

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

My golf trip in August generally consists of

- Weds - drive to ~Toledo OH - play 18
- Thurs - drive rest of way to Plymouth IN - play 18
- Fri - play 36
- Sat - play 36
- Sun - play 18 - drive the 8.5 ish hrs home

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My golf trip in August generally consists of

- Weds - drive to ~Toledo OH - play 18
- Thurs - drive rest of way to Plymouth IN - play 18
- Fri - play 36
- Sat - play 36
- Sun - play 18 - drive the 8.5 ish hrs home
We're just headed to Treasure Lake in Dubois PA for this trip so only 2 hours. But even when we do Myrtle or Orlando we schedule 18 on travel days and 36 all the rest.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
We're just headed to Treasure Lake in Dubois PA for this trip so only 2 hours. But even when we do Myrtle or Orlando we schedule 18 on travel days and 36 all the rest.

Our outing is 20-30 guys (depending on the year) - its been going on about 22 years now with the group changing over time (I'm on my 7th year). We used to stay at a place with six courses in southern MI until they started to suck from a management perspective. So we moved to a two course place in Plymouth IN. Much better run.

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Our outing is 20-30 guys (depending on the year) - its been going on about 22 years now with the group changing over time (I'm on my 7th year). We used to stay at a place with six courses in southern MI until they started to suck from a management perspective. So we moved to a two course place in Plymouth IN. Much better run.
6 courses is nice - we like playing a different course every day. We started out / joined in with a big group about 25 years ago but that kind of fell apart and we've had people come and go but there's 2 of us that have been doing at least 2 long weekends (usually 5 hour drive max) a year since the start and some years added a 3rd week long trip where we fly. But flying with clubs and luggage is a pain in the butt

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
6 courses is nice - we like playing a different course every day. We started out / joined in with a big group about 25 years ago but that kind of fell apart and we've had people come and go but there's 2 of us that have been doing at least 2 long weekends (usually 5 hour drive max) a year since the start and some years added a 3rd week long trip where we fly. But flying with clubs and luggage is a pain in the butt

Let me know one of these years - I'd be up for something else if i can swing it ! might even be able to drag a cigar smoker or two along