What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

So, where are all the golf nuts hiding?

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
On the course I never seem to get more than 250 out of my driver. Lately I’ve been teeing off with my r15 5wood and getting 220ish with much more control and consistency. The extra 20ish yds isn’t worth the risk.
Agreed. My home course isnt very penalizing at all, either off the tee box or a long second on a par 5. Short rough, etc. No reason not to go for it every shot.
When i play the much tougher courses in Amarillo with 3 inch rough, tons of trees and water, I play much like you do.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
How far you all hit driver? I avg 275-280

You mean when I actually hit it straight? I average 290+ I had two holes back to back yesterday both are about 385 - on both I had 79 yards to back pins. I was playing with our head pro (first time we've played 18 together in my 3+ years there) and on both holes he made note that he had never seen anyone hit the ball that far up.

NOW - you'd think I'd have the green light go and get it - I bogeyed both. Just a microcosm of my day. I shot 94. That's with a 7 on #10 and a 10 on #11 (both par 5s). On # 9 I lost two balls (a par 3 that I pull hooked two tee shots on for some reason). So this 94 could've been far better (along with a number of other missed shots)

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well guys I just played 9 holes with my father in law and shot the best round of my life a solid 43. I tried this crazy thing were I actually warmed up chipping and putting on the practice green. Highly recommended.
warming up is overrated!!

for league night I prefer to go straight from my car to the 1st tee box. it guarantees that I roll my tee shot about 12 feet in front of a group of onlookers.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Wow, from 6 up, mine are all hybrids. The 6 hybrid i bought last year. You know how hard it is to find a 6hy. that isnt senior flex???? Had to go with tour edge. Guess what? I hit the exact same ball flight and distance as my 6i.. Waste of money. But the 5 and 4 are hybrids. Thinking of going 5 wood instead of 2hy. Not sure yet. Ill keep yall posted.
The WS 23* hybrid was badass today. Well worth the $125 i paid for it.

I highly suggest learning to do basic work on your own clubs. That way shafts become a non-issue if you can find the head you want.

I will re-grip and re-shaft all of my clubs. i'd love to be able to fix loft / life but the machines a bit too pricey for my hobby self.

I have four shafts for my current driver (it's an adjustable one too). It's so nice to test out shafts that can be picked up cheap many times (pull from used clubs, or bought online). It's a little tougher to test iron shafts because you can't just swap them on the range easily.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
What's in everyone's bag?

Mine looks like this

Titleist 915 D3
Titleist 917 F2 15*
Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Titleist 716 AP1 4-5
Titleist 716 AP2 6-P
Vokey SM6 52/58
Toulon Design Rochester

I play Snell golf balls - usually the MTB black although I've been testing out their new MTB-X a bit to help with spin around the greens.

Eo80

Corona Gorda
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Robert knows my feelings on this sport. Definitely a Love/Hate one. I love it and it hates me. I do not get to play as much as i would like to, but without unlimited funds and time, who does.
Took lessons when i was a teen, (grandpa thought i could make great business contacts there. But i stayed out of business.) As a result i can whack my 9i about a solid 150 in the air pretty consistently and almost always straight. I have actually out drove a buddy with my 9 once. Gota final lay at around 225. He was pissed.
Other clubs are overrated. Just "tin cup" it with a 9!

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well, Robert knows my feelings on this sport. Definitely a Love/Hate one. I love it and it hates me. I do not get to play as much as i would like to, but without unlimited funds and time, who does.
Took lessons when i was a teen, (grandpa thought i could make great business contacts there. But i stayed out of business.) As a result i can whack my 9i about a solid 150 in the air pretty consistently and almost always straight. I have actually out drove a buddy with my 9 once. Gota final lay at around 225. He was pissed.
Other clubs are overrated. Just "tin cup" it with a 9!

I've certainly hit clubs much farther than intended - my favorite is when in a greenside bunker and instead of the 15ft it needs to go somehow your 80 yard club just went 150 yards two fairways over.

The camaro show

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My bag
Taylormade m3 10.5 project x evenflow blue shaft stiff
Taylormade 2017 m1 3 wood hl 17 atmos tour spec blue stiff. I play aftermarket shafts in all my clubs and I actually hit the atmos better then the evenflow better in 3w but hit evenflow better in driver and 4 hybrid.
Taylormade 2017 m1 4 hybrid project c evenflow blue stuff
Taylormade p790 5-pw nippon modus 105 stiff shafts
bob vokey sm7 custom raw wedge works wedges 52-56-60
Scotty Cameron select fastback 2018 with p2 putter grip. All my other clubs have golf pride mmc plus 4.
Ball prov1x or avx

Last edited:

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I play a set of Ping G400's with stock reg flex sharfts. 3w and 5hybrid being Adams Super S. Replacing them slowly with Wilson Staff C300's.
Already have the WS 4hybrid. Driver is an old R7 quad with Aldia stiff shaft. Have a G30 driver that i dont care for very much. Putter is a Scotty Cameron Del Mar California in sea mist.

EDIT: Just bought some new wedges as well. Cleveland CBX in 54*and 58*.These are cavity back wedges, and have vastly improved my short game. (tonights performance not withstanding)
Always struggled with blade wedges hitting them off the toe. These are a LOT more forgiving.

Last edited:

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
My bag is stocked with all older stuff.
Callaway Driver from about 5 years back
Taylormade Rocketballz 3 wood and hybrid, although I just picked up a Cobra 5 wood that I'm thinking will replace both of them
Original Nike Slingshot irons
Cleveland 50, 54 and 58 degree wedges
Scotty Cameron Fastback putter

It's a mish-mash but it works for me