What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

So, where are all the golf nuts hiding?

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Sooooooo this!!! Also like Tim said, GET FITTED! You play enough you should be consistent enough for it to pay off. I wont get anymore clubs with out a fitting. Shafts have way more payoff than club heads at this point in tech from what ive read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful with that if you're ever at CC - one of the biggest complaints is how they charge for shafts - even stock ones from the MFR. They also like to suggest the SUPER expensive exotic shafts when a standard MFR shaft would be just as good. You can get a set from them and pay twice as much as from another fitter due to these.

A few things to do:

- let them know up front your budget
- let them know if you aren't going to entertain crazy shafts - or things like PURE'ing (30 bucks / club)
- let them know you wont be buying that day - they will still hand you your specs from the fitting (and suggested cost of what they want to do) - you can take that somewhere else maybe a little more local that still does good work and get the set MUCH cheaper in most cases
- CC still gets their fitting fee for their time

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Be careful with that if you're ever at CC - one of the biggest complaints is how they charge for shafts - even stock ones from the MFR. They also like to suggest the SUPER expensive exotic shafts when a standard MFR shaft would be just as good. You can get a set from them and pay twice as much as from another fitter due to these.

A few things to do:

- let them know up front your budget
- let them know if you aren't going to entertain crazy shafts - or things like PURE'ing (30 bucks / club)
- let them know you wont be buying that day - they will still hand you your specs from the fitting (and suggested cost of what they want to do) - you can take that somewhere else maybe a little more local that still does good work and get the set MUCH cheaper in most cases
- CC still gets their fitting fee for their time

Yeppers. Never said someone should buy baller shafts. I feel like im in between regular and stiff for stock shafts, based on rule of thumb swing speeds, especially my driver. I would ventured to say that i would be fitted for a “regular flex” in a different torque than stock shafts im currently gaming. Wanna get fit for driver this winter, but that may just be me deciding to put a different shaft in my current one. And my shaft comment was aimed more towards the fact that shaft tech had come a lot further on the last few years than head tech. There may be some weight in getting fitted for shaft on older model heads. Cost would be comparable to this years heads with cheaper shaft that offer less benefit than 2-3 year old head on sale with better shafts. If that makes any sense at all lol. Also not looking to get fitted for a full set. Driver and putter are typically my weekness on my score card.

I think im gonna give Club Champion a try this winter for putter and driver fitting. Not necessarily buy, but see what they say.

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Beautiful weather here today so we blew off the afternoon and hit the course. 40 on the front and then we go stuck behind 3 old ladies on the back and @Redneck_toy was texting me to brag on his new irons. Must have lost some concentration - 42 on the back for an ok 82. Hope it wasn't the last round but if it was, short sleeves and shorts in mid October isn't a bad way to end it

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
@Redneck_toy hows covid life?
Doing well, thanks for asking. Other than aches/ chills, it's been really mild. No fever or anything. No complications at all with my asthma. Quarantine is up as of today. My sleep patterns are pretty screwy though. Sleeping from 7-8 pm through 1 or 2 am most nights, then up the rest of the night. This quarantine rolled right into two vacation days today and tomorrow, then I go back to work for Thursday, then 6 days vacation.. hopefully it warms up some to hit the driving range next week.High here yesterday was 19*. 1/4 to 1/2" sleet/ snow mix Sunday night through about noon yesterday. Enough to make the roads pretty glassy I guess I had this cold snap coming with bragging about our 90* weather the other day. Lol
Still several weeks out on the new irons though

Last edited:

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Doing well, thanks for asking. Other than aches/ chills, it's been really mild. No fever or anything. No complications at all with my asthma. Quarantine is up as of today. My sleep patterns are pretty screwy though. Sleeping from 7-8 pm through 1 or 2 am most nights, then up the rest of the night. This quarantine rolled right into two vacation days today and tomorrow, then I go back to work for Thursday, then 6 days vacation.. hopefully it warms up some to hit the driving range next week.High here yesterday was 19*. 1/4 to 1/2" sleet/ snow mix Sunday night through about noon yesterday. Enough to make the roads pretty glassy I guess I had this cold snap coming with bragging about our 90* weather the other day. Lol

Good to here. I know like 6 people who have had it in the last month. All say the same as you basically.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

Wait snow in Texas?

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well, finally got an OMG of an email from PXG. Not surprised. This is the guy from GoDaddy.com, after all, Bob Parsons. They are cleaning the workbench, getting ready to make my irons a gift from the gods. ( not paraphrasing much) Little over the top, IMO.
I mean, how much customization can you expect from their bottom of the line clubs with normal loft and lie? Stock 95gr reg flex shafts as well?
Anyway. I'm excited. These look like the TM P790, except for a longer blade length, for which, I am ecstatic. Pretty sure in need shovel length for the foreseeable future.
BTW, anyone in the western NY area, trying to lay some hard targets down for me to show up and play some golf around June 7th through the 28th with @WNYTony. Any and all challenges will be accepted. Lmao.
I'm a hack from Texas, but would love to play with some golfing brothers whenever I can. Just don't expect Bubba Watson to emerge......
Only thing the same is we both play southpaw.

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Well, finally got an OMG of an email from PXG. Not surprised. This is the guy from GoDaddy.com, after all, Bob Parsons. They are cleaning the workbench, getting ready to make my irons a gift from the gods. ( not paraphrasing much) Little over the top, IMO.
I mean, how much customization can you expect from their bottom of the line clubs with normal loft and lie? Stock 95gr reg flex shafts as well?
Anyway. I'm excited. These look like the TM P790, except for a longer blade length, for which, I am ecstatic. Pretty sure in need shovel length for the foreseeable future.
BTW, anyone in the western NY area, trying to lay some hard targets down for me to show up and play some golf around June 7th through the 28th with @WNYTony. Any and all challenges will be accepted. Lmao.
I'm a hack from Texas, but would love to play with some golfing brothers whenever I can. Just don't expect Bubba Watson to emerge......
These clubs sound pretty fancy that the clubmaker contacts you directly. You better be able to hit the shit out of them once you get em.
We'll be able to get @mitetak out. He was kind enough to give me a playing lesson last year. I don't know if he can swing lefty though. That's a good time of the year for golf up here - grass is beginning to green up and it gets above freezing. Can't believe you got snow in TX. You and @Tyler86 already with the white stuff and we haven't had it yet !

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
These clubs sound pretty fancy that the clubmaker contacts you directly. You better be able to hit the shit out of them once you get em.
We'll be able to get @mitetak out. He was kind enough to give me a playing lesson last year. I don't know if he can swing lefty though. That's a good time of the year for golf up here - grass is beginning to green up and it gets above freezing. Can't believe you got snow in TX. You and @Tyler86 already with the white stuff and we haven't had it yet !
It all my fault for saying we were in the 90's while you guys were winding down. Karma is a true bitch. Lol

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

they're not technically bottom of the line from them. they were previous "GOOD" - just getting them off the shelves since they've come out with the v3 version or some such! can't wait to see how badly well you get along with them!!

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0

OH missed the vacation part - yes I'm in 100% - with enough notice I'll be able to get to anywhere within a few hours or so