What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Today's Cheese

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Organic Caveman Blue by Rogue Creamery
Organic Caveman Blue is a fruity, pasteurized blue with slight vanilla tones and a texture full of butter and calcium lactate crystals. On the finish, Caveman has nuances of bacon, grass, and hay. Caveman is lower in moisture with a fudge-y texture, making it perfect for crumbling. It is aged about a year and has a natural rind. The brand Caveman Blue was used by the Rogue Gold Cheese Co. from the '40s until the late '90s. The tag line was "aged in the domain of the cavemen." Rogue Creamery actually built an entirely new aging cave to get Caveman's rind just how they wanted it. It's a bold step away from their classic foil-wrapped blues and a delicious testament to how far American cheeses have come in the last decade.

Tintern
The Cistercian abbey of Tintern is one of the greatest monastic ruins of Wales. Erected in 1131, it was the second Cistercian abbey in all of Great Britain, and the first in Wales. This blended Welsh cheese is named after the Tintern Abbey. With loads of chives and shallots mixed throughout its cheddary body, it makes a great pub cheese, especially appreciated when served with your favorite beer or ale. Its exterior is protected by a generous coating of bright green wax, which serves to highlight the green flecks of chive inside the cheese and completes an outstanding presentation.

6b75af6b2a4d8c60ac3ad32775262206.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
shredded some of this into homemade meatballs last night, sooooo goood. Chowing down on some chunks now.

Piave DOP Mezzano Aged 6 Months
Piave cheese is named after the river Piave, whose source is found at Mount Peralba in Val Visdende, in the northernmost part of the province of Belluno, Italy. A winding course brings the river toward the bottom of the valley until it reaches the plain at the foot of the prealpi venete mountains in the province of Treviso. Piave cheese is born from the cheese making traditions of the land surrounding the ancient river, in which the curd is cooked and the cheese is aged until it is hard. The area surrounding the river is also where the milk is collected to produce Piave. The cheese has an intense, full-bodied flavor that increases with age and makes this cheese absolutely unique. This Piave variety is Mezzano, which means it is aged for six months

150piavemezzano.jpg

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
With its washed rind and buttery consistency, this decadent triple-cream, soft-ripened cheese provides an attractive appearance on any table with its distinct reddish tint on the outer edge and the white brie mold on top. But Rougette Bavarian Red has a taste all its own, ready to be discovered. Unlike more aggressive washed-rind cheeses, Rougette brings a full flavor without a sharp, pungent smell. When served at your next gathering, your family and friends will love the sweet, buttery taste spread on crackers or bread. Treat yourself and your guests to this lush, spreadable cheese!
It is best eaten at room temperature and paired with fruits such as mangos, kiwis and strawberries. It also pairs well with pecans, walnuts and hazelnuts. Due to its high butterfat content, Rougette Bavarian Red is a perfect cheese to melt on top of food: try it melted on your steak or slices of bread. For a delicious side dish, place Rougette Bavarian Red on top of sliced cooked potatoes and pop the dish into the oven to let the cheese melt. Goes great with a spicy wine, Champagne, as well as medium - to full-bodied varieties. If you're just getting into washed-rind cheeses, this is a good place to start.

82f43778df5a595e510a03a8349889a2.plist

Nacho Daddy

Foggus Emeritus
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have just ordered a big batch of cheese from the IGourmet site, and thank goodness I had this thread to preview before I ordered.

I might have ended up with a bunch of cheese I would hate,and I am still going to try some cured meats from this shop.

Anyone else have any suggestions for tasty cured meats,or Pate ?

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
I have just ordered a big batch of cheese from the IGourmet site, and thank goodness I had this thread to preview before I ordered.

I might have ended up with a bunch of cheese I would hate,and I am still going to try some cured meats from this shop.

Anyone else have any suggestions for tasty cured meats,or Pate ?
All the salami i e had has been pretty good, nothing bad. Havnt had any pate. I have a 15% off code if youd like.

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Scandic Priest Cheese XO
This is a Västerbotten substitute for the US market. Västerbotten is the traditional Swedish celebration cheese, which contains sodium nitrate and is banned from the USA. The Scandic Priest Cheese XO is free of this nitrate and is therefore allowed to enter the USA market.
To many Swedes, Västerbotten is considered the "emperor of cheeses," either because of its heft or its full flavor. Produced in Northern Sweden, Vasterbotten is aged for over 11 months and Scandic Priest cheese is a tad younger and thus is dry, reminiscent of a young Parmigiano Reggiano or an aged Cheddar. Its flavor is rich and full-bodied with a tangy, bittersweet bite. Serve it in the Swedish tradition with some ginger snaps and a cup of hot glogg.

341725ba15559a14e79bc1019b3b383f.plist
3dc895d71b2bd4d36fe9f88ca037fe34.plist

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Trugole
This very special semi-soft cheese comes from the Asiago region of the Italian Alps. A cheese that is easy to fall in love with, Trugole's fruity character is the result of rich milk from Alpine cows that graze on wild foliage and grasses in mountain meadows.

The high plains of the area known as Asiago, often referred to as the "Switzerland of Italy", include seven districts or boroughs. This region is well known for its rich grasses and pastures, and for magnificent fir trees. It is situated in the pre-Alps, north of Venice at an altitude between 1,000 and 2,000 meters. In the higher zones are the "Malghe" (or mountain pastures) where cows graze peacefully and some extraordinary cheeses are produced. In the smallest of the boroughs is a pasture by the very name of Trugole. Trugole is a small pasture surrounded by a forest of immense fir trees. It is breathtakingly beautiful, with some of the richest and most varied grasses found anywhere. It is here where they make Trugole cheese.
Trugole cheese, named for the rich pasture that produces it, is an artisan cheese, worked by hand from milk carefully selected from cows that eat only the forage from the grasses of this particular area. The cheesemaker uses only carefully selected cultures and a method of production that faithfully follows the traditional method from the mountains. Its curing and aging is also carried out in a very special manner. Each day the wheels are turned and treated with water and salt to preserve the soft texture of the paste (interior). After 60 days, the cheese reaches an ideal state for consumption.

ffab8369ec7187c5f84b46cddbe1b623.plist

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Beemster X.O. 26-Month Extra Aged Gouda
We experienced a moment of culinary divinity when we first sampled this Extra Aged Gouda from Beemster. Previously, we doubted that any cheese could be more flavorful than Beemster's 18-month Aged Gouda, but their X.O. indeed sets a new bar. With this 26-month gouda, we first noticed its delicate, brittle texture. After we tasted it, the flavor of butterscotch permeated the palate, followed by alternating waves of whiskey and pecan.

Kunik by Nettle Meadow
Kunik is a unique and voluptuous triple crème cheese only made in Thurman, New York in the Warrensburg area on the small family farm, Nettle Meadow. It is a white mold-ripened wheel made from goat's milk and Jersey cow cream. The blend makes Kunik far richer and more flavorful than a brie-type cheese, yet more subtle and sumptuous than similarly ripened goat cheeses. Delicious on its own or with fruit and crackers. A wonderful addition to any cheese plate.

Nettle Meadow Farm is a 50 acre goat and sheep dairy and cheese company in Thurman, New York just below Crane Mountain in the Adirondacks. It is owned and operated by Lorraine Lambiase and Sheila Flanagan. Both have a great love of animals, artisan cheese, and the unique challenges of farm life. Nettle Meadow is committed to the principles of natural ingredients, happy and healthy animals, and carefully hand-crafted artisan cheeses.

Uncured Absinthe Salami by Zoe's Meats
Wow, is the first thing that comes to mind when you take your first bite of this incredible combination of the Absinthe and the New Mexican Hatch Chilies! While drinking Absinthe may be associated with short term memory loss, it certainly does not have that effect here...After one bite, all you can do is remember how good it tastes!

Years ago on a volleyball court two friends with a passion for food dreamed of creating a company which would provide superior quality cured-meat products to consumers with an emphasis on community and environmental awareness. In February of 2007, George Gavros and Charlie Hertz realized their dream by launching Zoe's Meats. Charlie and George believed that making salami requires that one learns from those that have been making the products for decades before, but that you are also open to trying new ideas with them. They have decided to create a line of salamis that are all nitrite-free, aside from those naturally occurring in celery powder and sea salt.

Cornichons Piquants by Les Trois Petits Cochons
These miniature pickles are crunchy, sweet and spicy. Pickled in the traditional French way in vinegar and spices, these gherkins will be an instant hit on your charcuterie board. Perfect accompanied with coarse pate, Jambon de Paris and other charcuterie along with whole grain mustard.
The cornichons come cradled in a plastic basket with a loop at the top, inside the jar, allowing you to pull the cornichons up to you, rather than digging around in the brine to get them. The clever packaging allows you to easily pick out a cornichon for a quick crunchy bite whenever needed!

fc3a82b2134736e2b8a1b2e67bc94b18.plist

Last edited: