What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

So, where are all the golf nuts hiding?

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
this always goes well. make sure you watch 17 youtube videos from different instructors and add 42 swing thoughts to your routine! :D
Ain't that the truth. This driver swing has only come on in the past 2 months or so. Screwed myself up by setting up for an intentional pull. (Anything for extra distance without putting actual work or lessons into it, right?) Swing is back to my normal path now.
Played Sunday morning, and noticed my overall setup to the ball is for a slice. Shoulders to the left of hips at address. Worked on a square setup all round with decent results. New recoil shafts are great, but flight is too high for anything over a 5 mph wind....

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Ain't that the truth. This driver swing has only come on in the past 2 months or so. Screwed myself up by setting up for an intentional pull. (Anything for extra distance without putting actual work or lessons into it, right?) Swing is back to my normal path now.
Played Sunday morning, and noticed my overall setup to the ball is for a slice. Shoulders to the left of hips at address. Worked on a square setup all round with decent results. New recoil shafts are great, but flight is too high for anything over a 5 mph wind....

What ball are you playing? Have you tried a lower launching ball?

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Picked up a Mavrik Max driver this morning from the Callaway pre-owned store. "Like new condition" for $225. Hit one at the last Demo Day and really liked it. Swallowed my pride and went regular flex. My new 3w mav max is regular, and I can hit it pretty well.

EDIT: And Tony, before you say anything about my club buying, the current driver is a Ping G30 thats seen 100+ rounds per year since the year it was released (7 years). She's tired. And I'm tired of the loud crack after playing with guys that play the newer muted sounding drivers.

Last edited:

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Not sure if this is true, but my buddy sent me this the other day.
View attachment 17242

Its more of a guideline. There are more variables than that. Launch angle, spin, swing speed, etc. Ive seen a lot of guys hit the “higher launch” balls lower than the “lower launch” balls from the same manufacturer. Have you tried spotting the ball back a little bit?

And I say, buy a new driver if you want one. I buy new clubs all the time. Not cause theyll make me play better, but cause i want too.

For giggles, have you tried the PROV1x?

The camaro show

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Picked up a Mavrik Max driver this morning from the Callaway pre-owned store. "Like new condition" for $225. Hit one at the last Demo Day and really liked it. Swallowed my pride and went regular flex. My new 3w mav max is regular, and I can hit it pretty well.

EDIT: And Tony, before you say anything about my club buying, the current driver is a Ping G30 thats seen 100+ rounds per year since the year it was released (7 years). She's tired. And I'm tired of the loud crack after playing with guys that play the newer muted sounding drivers.
10.5 loft?

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0

Au contraire - I have the Mavrik irons and might look at upgrading my old Callaway driver to the Mavrik at some point

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Its more of a guideline. There are more variables than that. Launch angle, spin, swing speed, etc. Ive seen a lot of guys hit the “higher launch” balls lower than the “lower launch” balls from the same manufacturer. Have you tried spotting the ball back a little bit?

And I say, buy a new driver if you want one. I buy new clubs all the time. Not cause theyll make me play better, but cause i want too.

For giggles, have you tried the PROV1x?
I play the pro v1x quite a bit actually. It's unbelievable how many Titleist balls you can find at my course. There's a ton of 25+ handicappers that think they need to be playing it. I always put the nice pro v's and avx's in the bag. They're about the same ball flight as all the others to me

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Spent yesterday in Albany for the NYTA : New York Tobacconist Organization | Organization for Tobacconists in New York State

It was their first attempt at a yearly fundraising golf tournament. This year's was held at the Edison Golf Club just outside of Schenectady.

18 holes of golf, lunch, a tee gift, cigar vendors on most holes, a cocktail party afterwards (dinner), a a live auction, 50/50 raffle and a silent auction.

Walked out of there with about 20 cigars from the vendors, and I won a silent auction for some stuff I didn't need!! :D Cost was 200 bucks but it was 10000% worth it for sure. We'll go next year if the timing works out well.

The scramble went OK - we shot even par as a threesome (was my BIL and I - we got paired with a guy who unfortunately wasn't a ton of help but great company).

The big push for this was the need for funds to keep fighting the 75% tax on cigars. There are a few bills in NY right now for 50 cent CAP on premium cigars (so instead of a 10 dollar cigar costing 17.50, it would now be 10.50).

@WNYTony fill this out and get your buddies to do so as well - also if your local shop(s) aren't on the list of member shops push them to join the NYTA (New York Tobacconist Organization | Organization for Tobacconists in New York State)!!

WNYTony

Presidente
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Spent yesterday in Albany for the NYTA : New York Tobacconist Organization | Organization for Tobacconists in New York State

It was their first attempt at a yearly fundraising golf tournament. This year's was held at the Edison Golf Club just outside of Schenectady.

18 holes of golf, lunch, a tee gift, cigar vendors on most holes, a cocktail party afterwards (dinner), a a live auction, 50/50 raffle and a silent auction.

Walked out of there with about 20 cigars from the vendors, and I won a silent auction for some stuff I didn't need!! :D Cost was 200 bucks but it was 10000% worth it for sure. We'll go next year if the timing works out well.

The scramble went OK - we shot even par as a threesome (was my BIL and I - we got paired with a guy who unfortunately wasn't a ton of help but great company).

The big push for this was the need for funds to keep fighting the 75% tax on cigars. There are a few bills in NY right now for 50 cent CAP on premium cigars (so instead of a 10 dollar cigar costing 17.50, it would now be 10.50).

@WNYTony fill this out and get your buddies to do so as well - also if your local shop(s) aren't on the list of member shops push them to join the NYTA (New York Tobacconist Organization | Organization for Tobacconists in New York State)!!

Sounds like a great time - how do I apply for next year's scramble team ???? I will look at it later and do what I can. Heard about it on a podcast just last week but it was an older podcast I was catching up on so timing didn't work out. But I would be interested for next year.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Sounds like a great time - how do I apply for next year's scramble team ???? I will look at it later and do what I can. Heard about it on a podcast just last week but it was an older podcast I was catching up on so timing didn't work out. But I would be interested for next year.
Ian and I were talking about how we get a full foursome next year and I was thinking about you. get you to join us :D

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Ooh forgot to talk a little more about the 4h i'm demo'ing from Sub70. I hit no bad shots with it yesterday and some insanely accurate monsters with it too.

there's definitely a 3h and 4h in my future.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Driver showed up today. Still had all the stickers on it. Not 1 mark on the sole or face. Brand new headcover still in the cellophane. Pretty good deal if you ask me. My course could order the same club for me for $299. Only thing it didn't have is the wrench and the instructions for the opti-fit adapter.
Wrenches are universal, and the adjustments are pretty easy to understand, so no biggie