What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

So, where are all the golf nuts hiding?

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My game is pretty much in the shitter right now. In the words of Roy McAvoy, "My swing feels like an unfolding lawn chair!" I'm all over the board- topping, fatting, shanking, etc. Only one in ten shots seem to be struck well.
To be fair, this has happened about this time every year for the past 5 years or so. Usually take a break until mid- September. Not this year though, gonna try to power my way through this without breaking my clubs. Lol
Wish me luck.

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My game is pretty much in the shitter right now. In the words of Roy McAvoy, "My swing feels like an unfolding lawn chair!" I'm all over the board- topping, fatting, shanking, etc. Only one in ten shots seem to be struck well.
To be fair, this has happened about this time every year for the past 5 years or so. Usually take a break until mid- September. Not this year though, gonna try to power my way through this without breaking my clubs. Lol
Wish me luck.

It's weird - right around now my game is getting into shape (the 6,000 reps from my golf trip helps) but then shortly before season end/winter - it seems to just ... POOF

kcmontie

Robusto
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Finally back out on the course(took 2 weeks off). I have been having some neck problems. Played 9 yesterday 7 bogeys 2 pars. I am really stiff today gonna fight through it. I have a nice golf trip coming up next weekend in Santa Barbra. I will be playing Sandpiper , Rancho San Marcos and Glen Annie Golf Clubs. Gonna hit the range the and work thru some stuff(had a 2 way miss yesterday), and practice putting. Maybe take a lesson or have some look at my alignment .

Last edited:

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Finally back out on the course(took 2 weeks off). I have been having some neck problems. Played 9 yesterday 7 bogeys 2 pars. I am really stiff today gonna fight through it. I have a nice birthday golf trip coming up next weekend in Santa Barbra. I will be playing Sandpiper , Rancho San Marcos and Glen Annie Golf Clubs. Gonna hit the range the and work thru some stuff(had a 2 way miss yesterday), and practice putting. Maybe take a lesson or have some look at my alignment .
Only thing I got out of that post is that your birthday is next week......
Happy Birthday brother! Lol
Late summer struggles are real, for me anyways...

Wantacigar

n00b
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Played 18 on Saturday with my son. Shot a season best 83 but really struggled with my driver front nine. Had to scramble out of trouble almost every 2nd shot. Got it together back nine tho
1C2DCE03-2385-454C-9A5F-24AD0B8BA048.png
43 on front. 40 on back

Attachments

• 081D3A5A-83AE-4BAB-9015-FE9291E7172C.png
    081D3A5A-83AE-4BAB-9015-FE9291E7172C.png
    323.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
So my old man gave me his old set of clubs till I decide if I’m actually gonna get back in to golf after a 15 year hiatus.

I’m looking into a hitting net to put in my garage to get my mechanics back during the long ass winter. Any recommendations? Not trying to break the bank.

Stupid Tapatalk

MikeZ37

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Personally I’ve never understood the hitting into a net thing if it isn’t coupled with some sort of tracker. Watching the full flight path of the ball gives you a lot of necessary feedback. If it were my money I would just find a driving range with heated stalls and stop in from time to time.

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Personally I’ve never understood the hitting into a net thing if it isn’t coupled with some sort of tracker. Watching the full flight path of the ball gives you a lot of necessary feedback. If it were my money I would just find a driving range with heated stalls and stop in from time to time.

While i completely agree, I haven’t hit a ball in 15 years, more worried about re building basic swing mechanics. I also live in MN. Gonna have feet of snow on the ground from Oct/Dec till Mar/May. Only 1 driving range will even possibly be open and I’m not baller enough to hit there

Stupid Tapatalk

The camaro show

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my old man gave me his old set of clubs till I decide if I’m actually gonna get back in to golf after a 15 year hiatus.

I’m looking into a hitting net to put in my garage to get my mechanics back during the long ass winter. Any recommendations? Not trying to break the bank.

Stupid Tapatalk
I have a nice callaway hitting net and a skillz turf mat. I’d highly recommend them. Wanna say the Mat was about $40 and the net was maybe $100 maybe a little more. Both have lasted 5 years or so and still are in great shape. I’ve found cheaper mats are garage and are worn after maybe a year. @Tyler86

The camaro show

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For most avg golfers seeing the flight path is great but for someone starting a net is great because you can practice good mechanics and solid contact to the ball.

Trackers are great but also $$$$. Trackman is the staple and is $15k. Now there’s also cheaper options that will so you your distance and spin levels with a few other things but with trackman you hit balls then plug it into your computer and see your full shots. I’ve been on lots of track mans and will say they are nice but not worth that kind of money. If I was gonna send that money I’d get a indoor simulator which imo is much better but you also need to have the room for that in your house including high ceilings.

MikeZ37

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
While i completely agree, I haven’t hit a ball in 15 years, more worried about re building basic swing mechanics. I also live in MN. Gonna have feet of snow on the ground from Oct/Dec till Mar/May. Only 1 driving range will even possibly be open and I’m not baller enough to hit there

Stupid Tapatalk
Ahh yeah I always forget that we really don’t have it all that bad here in Ohio compared to your winters

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yeah winter for us is no golf unless you're indoors on a simulator (we have one outdoor range with big heaters and what not - but its still off mats so might as well hit indoors where its actually warm).

I need a bit more space to set up a net / mat for the off season! I hate spending the first month + trying to find a non-rainy day to play and being so rusty it's no fun

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
played 9 on Saturday with the wife - took our 4.5 year old out for the first time. This course is 4-5 miles from the airport and we had an airshow. So we had the thunderbirds and a F22 doing laps over the course (low flying too). Was super cool. My kiddo lasted about four holes and then he just wanted to play in the bunkers (as expected). I shot 44, wife shot 55. Good day overall!

Played yesterday AM (first ones out on the course at 7am). Shot 90 with an 8 and two sevens. Also had two birdies (16th and 18th hole). The birdie on the 18th was the closest I've ever been to a hole in one (its a 150ish uphill par 3 to close) - left it about a foot away. Ball landed about 3 ft away and took one hop and stopped. Oh well, easy birdie to finish the day :)

Wantacigar

n00b
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
played 9 on Saturday with the wife - took our 4.5 year old out for the first time. This course is 4-5 miles from the airport and we had an airshow. So we had the thunderbirds and a F22 doing laps over the course (low flying too). Was super cool. My kiddo lasted about four holes and then he just wanted to play in the bunkers (as expected). I shot 44, wife shot 55. Good day overall!

Played yesterday AM (first ones out on the course at 7am). Shot 90 with an 8 and two sevens. Also had two birdies (16th and 18th hole). The birdie on the 18th was the closest I've ever been to a hole in one (its a 150ish uphill par 3 to close) - left it about a foot away. Ball landed about 3 ft away and took one hop and stopped. Oh well, easy birdie to finish the day :)
Love those Snell

The camaro show

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Working through some Titleist AVXs that I got throughout the year during league sweeps. But I've drifted to the Snell MTB-Xs so I'm clearing out the blacks. The downside to a slowly improving golf game is that I generally lose less golf balls so it's tougher to get rid of ones I'm moving on from.
Love the AVXs my go to ball for sure.

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Getting back into the sport after a 16 year hiatus. Need shoes. Are any courses still frowning on shoes that are not the “classic” look? Or are any golf shoes accepted any where?

Stupid Tapatalk

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Getting back into the sport after a 16 year hiatus. Need shoes. Are any courses still frowning on shoes that are not the “classic” look? Or are any golf shoes accepted any where?

Stupid Tapatalk
Yep any shoe anywhere

I've been leaning more towards spikeless style models like the FJ flex