What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Vacation time: Germany

Almi

Corona
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Check out Linderhof Castle. It is very cool inside and was finished. Neuschwanstein was not finished as far as the interior. Same King built both.

BloodWood

Perfecto
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Of the four I'd spend the lions share in Cologne. A little bit of everything. The whole city was razed during WWII, except for the Cathedral. Beautiful church.
If you're into cars (which you should be according to your employ) then definitely hit Stuttgart for the museums. I'm not much of a motorhead.
Black Forest if you're dying to own an authentic Cuckoo clock. :LOL:

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
261   0   0
Of the four I'd spend the lions share in Cologne. A little bit of everything. The whole city was razed during WWII, except for the Cathedral. Beautiful church.
If you're into cars (which you should be according to your employ) then definitely hit Stuttgart for the museums. I'm not much of a motorhead.
Black Forest if you're dying to own an authentic Cuckoo clock. :LOL:

Cologne eh?

Cars.... eh. Can’t drive em lol.

Black Forest bunch’s hiking. Authentic coo coo clocks are $$$$$$$ lol. Saw some lowest was like 1000 euro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BloodWood

Perfecto
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Damn, had no idea Cuckoos demanded that kind of coin!! "Screw that."

This is shaping up to be a class A trip.
You're gonna have a great time.

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
261   0   0
got a sweet deal on rental car through autoeurope. Only $449 for 15 day rental, $0 deductible, everything covered, unlimited miles, in a renault captur. Blew tons of sites away with price.

Alaska

n00b
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything worthwhile seeing for 2-3 days on my drive back from SW germany to amsterdam? Black forest? cologne? stuttgart? dusseldorf?

Way late to the thread but I did my last USAF tour was in Germany, '94-98. The Munich Oktoberfest (or "Wiesn") is the archetype to be sure but it's a sea of freakin' humanity. Too much for me. I think Germany's best kept secret is the Cannstatter Volkfest (or "Wasen") in Stuttgart. If the dates work out for you, it runs 9/28–10/14 this year. Also in the Stuttgart area is the Residenzschloss Ludwigsburg.

One of my favorite places to visit was the medieval walled city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, about halfway between Munich and Frankfurt. Enjoyed a restaurant there that used to be a horse stable...about 600 years ago.

If your route takes you through Luxembourg, a worthwhile stop is the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial...where Gen. George S. Patton is buried.

Last edited:

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
261   0   0
Here we go, all done... Amsterdam, Brussels, Corbion, Bouillion, Orval, Achouffe, Munich, Garmish, Maulbronn, Speyer, Mainz, Aachen, Gouda

capture-jpg.6125