What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Vacation time: Germany

Almi

Corona
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Spent close to 3 years there while in the Army. The town I was stationed in was Augsburg which is about 30 miles west of Munich. We went to the Oktoberfest many times while I was there and to tons of local fest in Augsburg area. Took a week long trip to Italy and visited Venice and Florence. Went to Spain for a week. Went to Paris for a long weekend over New Years. I skied all over Austria and Germany during the winter and even tried glacier skiing one summer. Got to go to Berlin when the wall was still up and even went to East Berlin for a day but that is not such a big deal now days. Lots of very cool sites to see. Great people most everywhere I went. I did know a little German and most Germans know some English. When you buy a beer at a fest it will be a liter mug. The good thing is there beer taste just as good warm as cold so you won't need to chug. Any questions just ask away.

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Right now just trying to find a decent flight. May one way into Munich and one way out of somewhere else. Rent a car to travel to the potential off the beaten path stuff.

Most flights at end of sept rt cost $1000ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColdSmoke

Surgeon General
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Germany is great. Berlin has awesome cigar stores and their retail prices aren't all that bad either.
Right now just trying to find a decent flight. May one way into Munich and one way out of somewhere else. Rent a car to travel to the potential off the beaten path stuff.

Most flights at end of sept rt cost $1000ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Book your rental car in advance for way better prices.

BloodWood

Perfecto
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
We spent about a month over there vacationing.
This was one of the few times a travel agent saved us a few bucks.
Unlike the UK and most Asian countries, renting a car does make sense.
The Autobahn runs all over that part of Europe. so getting around is fast on their smooth as glass highways.
Germany offers all the Cuban brands you could want. Though, the prices were much lower in Brussels.
I refused to visit France so we hit Belgium instead. Yes, definitely get the Mussels in Brussels. They're outstanding.
Oktoberfest is very fun and social, but way too crowded for this curmudgeon.
* The best time we had in 28 days was visiting Munich's Hofbrauhaus in the evening.
All bench seating so you get to know your neighbors real well.
Everyone is super friendly, but talking over the Oompah band can be a struggle.
We sat next to a group of seven from AZ.
Had a great time... From what I can remember.
Oh, and drinking a tall one first thing in the morning is A-OK.
It was nothing to see business people in their suits enjoying a liter with their breakfasts every morning. I adopted this habit when I returned to the states.

BigFatPanda

Escaped primate
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Austria, Switzerland, and Italy are all right there, and Czech republic is not out of your range and worth the drive. Lots of castles and breweries. Salzburg is so close you almost have to go out of your way to avoid it.

If you really want to go to Oktoberfest for the experience of doing it (bucket list sort of thing), then I'd say book as far in advance as possible. Also don't overlook the option to stay one or two towns over and ride the train in. Look online to see what towns are on the rail lines. Probably have better luck than finding something right in Munich. Be sure to look into just renting a room. Best places I ever stayed down there were bed and breakfast kinds of places.

But as mentioned above, Oktoberfest is way crowded. If you like crowds, no problem, but if you're just wanting to go to Germany, the Hofbrau house is open all year.

Go a couple weeks before /after. Late summer you're still in the summer fest season. Later in the fall, the Christmas markets/fests start.
Flights and hotels will probably be cheaper.

It's like Mardi Gras... If you want to experience the huge parades and massive crowds of girls fighting for
beads, you really have to go on Fat Tuesday. If you just want to drink and see the sights, go anytime.

If you want the huge crowds and giant beer tents, Oktoberfest is your time to go. If you want to see Bavaria, drink good beer, and sightsee, go almost any time other than the end of September, lol.

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Austria, Switzerland, and Italy are all right there, and Czech republic is not out of your range and worth the drive. Lots of castles and breweries. Salzburg is so close you almost have to go out of your way to avoid it.

If you really want to go to Oktoberfest for the experience of doing it (bucket list sort of thing), then I'd say book as far in advance as possible. Also don't overlook the option to stay one or two towns over and ride the train in. Look online to see what towns are on the rail lines. Probably have better luck than finding something right in Munich. Be sure to look into just renting a room. Best places I ever stayed down there were bed and breakfast kinds of places.

But as mentioned above, Oktoberfest is way crowded. If you like crowds, no problem, but if you're just wanting to go to Germany, the Hofbrau house is open all year.

Go a couple weeks before /after. Late summer you're still in the summer fest season. Later in the fall, the Christmas markets/fests start.
Flights and hotels will probably be cheaper.

It's like Mardi Gras... If you want to experience the huge parades and massive crowds of girls fighting for
beads, you really have to go on Fat Tuesday. If you just want to drink and see the sights, go anytime.

If you want the huge crowds and giant beer tents, Oktoberfest is your time to go. If you want to see Bavaria, drink good beer, and sightsee, go almost any time other than the end of September, lol.
nice info, been to Prague/Olomouc/Vienna/Salzburg already :) Czech was wonderful

thinking maybe germany, belgium, netherlands 14ish days

Last edited:

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
hmmmm so got this locked down pretty much except for 2 or 3 days from southern germany (alps area) back to amsterdam for flight.

doing amsterdam (3days) > brussels (1 day) > southern belgium (1 day) > munich (4 days) > Garmisch Partenkirchen (german alps, 2 or 3 days) > 2 or 3 days??? > amsterdam (1 day)

need to figure out somewhere between southern germany and amsterdam.. hmmm...

BloodWood

Perfecto
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
You've timed your individual stays well.
I'll second your one day in Brussels and four for Munich. Depending on your desires (ahem) Amsterdam can take one day to a lifetime.
Grand Place takes an easy going day to see what we found interesting.
Munich can be had in a day (not counting night-life). Use it as a hub to venture out into smaller surrounding cities; Bavaria is under 50 miles away.

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Tons of things to do around amsterdam, some stuff i found was (not obviously doing everything)

--------------
Amsterdam
--------------
Explore canals: boat tour
Van Gogh Museum (ams)
the Heineken Experience
Rijksmuseum (art and antique museum)
Anne Frank museum
Houseboat Museum
Royal Palace
Pyramide van Austerlitz

Castles
Muiderslot
paleis Het Loo
Valkenburg
Kasttel de haar
heeswijk

Utrecht (kasteel de haar, largest fortification, SE of AMS)
Sample some cheese in Edam (NE AMS), large cheese market and a famous cheese-weighing hall
Visit Zaanse Schans (15km north, 17/18th century village)
Keukenhof, also known as the Garden of Europe (near Lisse)
Village of Marken (NE of ams, island)
Windmills of Kinderdijk (south south)
Visit Historic Valkenburg, castle ruins etc (east of brussels)
Ridderzaal (the hague)
cheese museum (kaag island)

--------------
BELGIUM
--------------
On way to, Het Anker Brasserie (b/t antwerp & brussels)
Brussels (1 night)
Manakein pis
Grand Palace
Atomium
Waffle
Mussels in brussels
Chocolate factories
Brasserie Cantillon (lambics)

--------------
SOUTHERN BELGIUM
--------------
Brasserie de Rochefort

Corbion:
tabac manil
Fumeurs de Pipe
Bouillon:
Roy de la Moule for mussels/frites, 11:30-2:30
Chateau de Bouillon, 10-5 (reservation: Bouillon Castle - Information)
Orval:
ruins, gift shop (beer/cheese)
Hostellerie d'Orval (beef tartare)
Achouffe:
La Chouffe (tour reservation Discover the brewery - Chouffe)
At La Petite Fontaine 9:30am on, kitchen 12-8:30pm)
hotel?

--------------
Munich
--------------
Oktoberfest
hop-on hop-off tour bus
Hofbräuhaus
Lunch/Shop Viktualienmarkt
Climb the Alter Peter steeple
Nymphenburg palace und Park (maybe)
Bavarian National Museum
Alte Pinakothek (one of worlds oldest art galleries)
Glyptothek (art museum)
BMW Museum
Theatine Church
St. Peter's Church
Glockenspiel im Rathausturm (Marienplatz 11am,12pm)
Neues Rathaus (town hall in Marienplatz) - tower view
Munich Residenz - 14th century castle

--------------
Garmisch Partenkirchen (german alps, S of Munich)
--------------
Neuschwanstein castle (online reservation)
Alpspix - take the gondola up the Alpspix to take in its breathtaking views from two steel walkways

Last edited: