What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

St. pattys 2019

BigFatPanda

Escaped primate
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ok I picked up both let’s compare....

f45318361e3d7f5db9bd7b98aeae0dd9.jpg

Murphy’s: jet back with a creamy head, 4 pack pints $4.99. Scents of dark roasted malt, sweet chocolate, and cream. On the mouthful flavors of those dark roasted malts and dry bold chocolate dominate this heavy and thick mouthfeel.

007419e1d55ddfcc49964a355f4f61f2.jpg

Guinness: $14.99 for 8 pack pints, jet black creamy head. The nose detects sweetness with an ale like aroma, no chocolate or roasted flavors... is this really a stout? Mouthful is thin. Flavors of sweetness like an English pale ale, alcohol, and a slight hint of baking spices on then backend.

92c2d72a177497452295cb00538c080e.jpg

Verdict.... MURPHYS.... wtf has Guinness done with their beer??? Used to be much thicker and tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll take Murphy's over Guinness any day. Guinness has always been thin for a stout (imho), and has a metallic aftertaste whether I get it can, bottle, or draft.

Gary

Diadema
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Hmm. Im a Guinness guy but i agree it use to be thicker it seems. Ill have to check out Murphy's. Good review. I wish i could find Kilkenny. I seen it in a guiness sampler once and never since.

multi-useless

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I dont care much for it. Only on SPD.
I had good luck last year, turning one into a pastrami on the smoker... wish I had saved the recipe for the rub I mixed up, didn't bother since I was just winging it but then it turned out pretty good... plenty of recipes online though, just make sure to soak it in water long enough to get the salty taste out of it

Gary

Diadema
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I do find when pouring Guinness from bottles or cans, fill the glass half way and then dump from above to finish off with a thicker head.