What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Vacation Time: Hawaii

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
Been hitting the west side of Maui every year since the late 80s.
Which area will you be located and what is important to you?
Tons of DOs with two suggested DON'Ts.
* Don't waste your money on a submarine or heli trip.
whaaaaa those sound fun though

BloodWood

Perfecto
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
whaaaaa those sound fun though

Fun? Maybe.
Low ROI? Definitely.
Heli rides start around $300. You're better off driving around and talking to locals.
For a fantastic semi-submerged (not a true sub) yellow boat tour where you'll see lots of sand and the occasional starfish the sub is perfect.
If underwater critters are your thing buy/rent snorkel gear.
Also, Kona Big Wave Golden Ale literally translates into "Equine + Piddle" or horse piss in Polynesian.

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
I agree on ROI, but definately a bucket list thing in a good location haha.

Found an hour n half group snorkel event that they take you out on a boat and you snorkel w/dolphins and turtles for $125 perperson

jasonatjl

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Used to live on Oahu, and here currently for a short vacation myself.

Personal Opinion - Maui is beautiful, but expensive compared to Oahu. Not to mention, the lack of diversity that you see on other islands, but that’s another conversation. I wasn’t impressed.

Get with me and I can give you some insights. option240, Palama, and MC808 from BOTL all live on Oahu. There’s a Crowned Heads event coming up soon. Ask MC808 about info - he’s also the head of R Field at Foodland and the Beretania location is the place to stop at. Also, Fujioka’s Wine Times for cigars and booze while you’re on island.

What parts of the island you staying at (for both Maui and Oahu)?

jasonatjl

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Fun? Maybe.
Low ROI? Definitely.
Heli rides start around $300. You're better off driving around and talking to locals.
For a fantastic semi-submerged (not a true sub) yellow boat tour where you'll see lots of sand and the occasional starfish the sub is perfect.
If underwater critters are your thing buy/rent snorkel gear.
Also, Kona Big Wave Golden Ale literally translates into "Equine + Piddle" or horse piss in Polynesian.

Big Wave is about the most generic beer you could ask for from Kona. With that said, it’s like Miller Light - you could drink it ALL day and night.

jasonatjl

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
plus the brewery is on the big island, wont be there :p

Most of it is actually bottled on the mainland and shipped in LOL. There is a “Kona Brewing” bad and restaurant in Hawaii Kai where you can sample most of it off the tap.

I’m headed to Big Island tonight!

BloodWood

Perfecto
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
... Make that three DON'Ts.
Totally forgot about that one. Mega huge ripoff. The food sucks and the price of a drink is outrageous.
Though, the wind surfing up the street is a must see (watching only). The waves and air they catch is fricken amazing.
For a killer view and better food give The Plantation a shot. Right on the course with a small bar towards the back.
I would say to also check out Longhi's on Front ST., but they closed this past March. :(