What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Other Hobbies

Gary

Diadema
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I have been collecting pocket knives since a young boy which I only have several of those left. I have over 150 now i think. Im more into late 19th century early 20th century knives. Back when they were ment to do work and not be "pretty". My holy grail at the moment is an Excelsior knife made for only 4 years 1880-1884 which may or may not be the oldest one I own but it is by far the rarest of pretty much anything you will ever see on market. Ill show and tell more, but this is one of my many "other" hobbies.20190507_134951.jpg20190507_135007.jpg

Alaska

n00b
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late to the thread but...

Although I never collected stamps, baseball cards, or the like, it took having a butt load of hobbies throughout my life to finally realize that I am in fact a collector...a collector of skills and knowledge. I've dabbled in taxidermy, astronomy, lapidary, calligraphy, rocketry, leather working, sewing, computer programming, electronics, model building, music (cello, tenor sax, bassoon, etc.), various fine arts, and much more. Besides cigars (naturally) and the whisk(e)y, beer, wine, and other libations that I love to have with them, I am also engaged in:
  • Fine woodworking and home DIY
  • 3D design/modeling (related mostly to the above)
  • Shooting and ammunition reloading
  • Fly fishing and fly tying
  • PC flight simulation
  • Digital photography and photoprocessing
  • Making charcuterie (sausages, cured meats, etc.)
  • Casual bird watching (very casual)
I also enjoy cooking and grilling, reading the occasional book, and I am a moderator/administrator for a space/astronomy discussion forum.

Gary

Diadema
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I dont know where my other post went so ill recap from last winter. Purchased this 67 john deere 60 with plans to restore. Drove cross Nebraska in a blizzard and picked it up. 20190115_202307.jpg
Tore it down day by day in the freezing cold garage i beleive i posted a few photo's like this wherever they went. 20190904_181843.jpg
Hasnt been quite a year yet but this is where its at. I have the motor cover and stuff drying at this moment. Will need some work on the rear fenders and the hood so hopefully it will be complete by next spring. 20190904_181343.jpg

TexaSmoke

Corona
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I play these. Work on them. Obsess over them like we do cigars. Read about them. Occasionally Frankenstein a few of them into one. Daydream about snobbier ones. It's a hobby, a lifestyle, a passion.
d0b5ff96f47644af6b845b68abc66e1d.jpg

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Gary

Diadema
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I play these. Work on them. Obsess over them like we do cigars. Read about them. Occasionally Frankenstein a few of them into one. Daydream about snobbier ones. It's a hobby, a lifestyle, a passion.
d0b5ff96f47644af6b845b68abc66e1d.jpg

I use to play. Never had a fender though. Had a Gibson Hummingbird once, my cousin has it now. Washburn acoustic and a jackson dinky i sold a few years ago and havent played since sadly.

TexaSmoke

Corona
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use to play. Never had a fender though. Had a Gibson Hummingbird once, my cousin has it now. Washburn acoustic and a jackson dinky i sold a few years ago and havent played since sadly.
Hummingbird is an iconic guitar. A good friend of mine that I used to play lead for still tours with his old Hummingbird. Can't beat 'em.

The camaro show

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had a lot of hobbies over the years I always had my nose into everything. Hockey and golf were my sports in school with wining 2 back to back state championships in hockey and playing D2 college golf. Outside of that it was always Aquariums and fish. We have always had a koi pond even before my time after seeing our neighbors pond my mom had to have one. I then got a 90g freshwater tank that’s fully custom and state of the art which was the last large gift my grandfather bought me before his passing. I got really into exotic fish mainly from the amazon river basin. Then I got into saltwater big time and started growing corals I realized I was really good at it and now sell a lot of high end rare and hard to find corals. I’ve dabled into high performance RC too off road buggy’s and some larger scale planes too. Trying to get into it more especially planes.

Alaska

n00b
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only athletic sport I got into much was bicycling. Other not-so-athletic sports were bowling and cowboy action shooting. I kept aquaria for a number of years, too. When I retired from the USAF, I even took a 'fun' job in an aquarium shop for a while so I could take my time looking for the longer term opportunity. I wound up running their saltwater section. I had a 90-gal reef tank for a while but my last one was a heavily planted tank with rainbowfishes.

Here's may latest finished woodworking project, a couple of magazine caddies for the mizzus and me:

ec9477143d9c12884209878fdf95716b.jpg

e2ebc1a9222b61f5e59263a83c3f074f.jpg

The camaro show

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only athletic sport I got into much was bicycling. Other not-so-athletic sports were bowling and cowboy action shooting. I kept aquaria for a number of years, too. When I retired from the USAF, I even took a 'fun' job in an aquarium shop for a while so I could take my time looking for the longer term opportunity. I wound up running their saltwater section. I had a 90-gal reef tank for a while but my last one was a heavily planted tank with rainbowfishes.

Here's may latest finished woodworking project, a couple of magazine caddies for the mizzus and me:

ec9477143d9c12884209878fdf95716b.jpg

e2ebc1a9222b61f5e59263a83c3f074f.jpg
Very nice! I’ve had lots of rainbowfish over the years. Still have a few I had a pair I forget the species but the collection point is skull creek Australia or Austria. My male unfortunately passed this summer I’ve had them for about 4 years. I got them as adults wild caught at a auction.

Cigary

Director of Cynicism Sarcasm and Sardonic response
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already got enough hobby's as it is... motorcycles, golf, sports that I can still play, Travel is way up there ( have seen 3/4 of the world...) a few others like watches, lighters, cutters, ... probably why I retired so early at 43 so I could devote it to things I actually enjoy...Dog Rescue being another priority.

Long Haired Country Boy

Petite Lancero
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Too many hobbies for one mortal I’m a ham radio operator. I currently hold a general class license.

I collect and listen to vinyl records, mainly classic rock. I also collect concert posters.

I inherited my Parents antique collection. Mainly glassware which I’m talking a crash course in as I try to thin it down to fit it into an apartment.

I also enjoy target shooting, camping and collecting walking canes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr_Draned

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome thread, I’ll jump in!
Some of my hobbies are:

Playing guitar. Lately I’ve been working on how to play Jerry’s parts in Sugaree. One day I aim to own a Wolf replica and be able to get closer to that sweet tone!
FB708347-8774-4AF8-BD53-AA2EBEAEA3BB.jpeg

I’m building a Telecaster for my odaughter. It’s taking me forever, but I’m finally at the prime and paint stage. I just need to get the supplies and make the time.

Seeing Phish concerts. Last show was show #60, and I’m hoping to score tickets to see them at MSG on Dec 29 and 30. No NYE anymore, the kids are too old and want to hang.

Collecting vinyl albums.

Concert posters for shows I have attended. Also looking for any Grateful Dead art, let me know if you have any!

Strength and conditioning. I train about 5-6 days a week using barbell weights, kettlebells, steel mace (not the “cute” Onnit maces), ropes, heavy bag, and other equipment. My main focus is compound movements, as I feel that has the most impact. My goal? To live to see both my girls become successful and able to be on their own., as well as be able to defend myself and fight my way out of some shit if need be.

Reading.

Making YouTube videos. Here’s the link;

Last, I make time to do things with my wife and kids.

Man, seems I have quite a few hobbies to keep me going!

Last edited: