What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Bottle Completionist Club

Unpossible_1

Creepy CIA Op
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So, I always get a kick out of people's experiences with libations, and learning about new bottles worth trying. I thought I would start a thread for people to share their latest conquest and offer any thoughts on it as well.
81FAB4B4-7044-46D4-811F-DC36B335C9E8.jpeg
Eagle Rare is a staple in my rotation and for good reason. It hits a sweet spot for price, availability and taste. When people ask me for a good bourbon to try out, when venturing into bourbon, I almost always recommend Eagle Rare. Bottles can be had for $30 or less in most places and it's an easy to drink bourbon that doesn't need ice or water to cut the heat down. The price makes it cheap enough that you won't kick yourself if you use it as a mixer either.

Sweemzander

Meadmaker
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
From a week or two ago. Far too expensive for your average pour but one of the finest bottles of scotch ive come across in awhile. Mostly consumed at Xmas time but polished the last bit off
81a12cda1ae48eb8be5d1c4ee0627cc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TheFlask

Lonsdale
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
From a week or two ago. Far too expensive for your average pour but one of the finest bottles of scotch ive come across in awhile. Mostly consumed at Xmas time but polished the last bit off
81a12cda1ae48eb8be5d1c4ee0627cc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Looks like something I'd like to give a try. How was the flavor? Smokey, petey, floral... I'd like to hear a little more about it.

gurgalunas

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Finished an eagle rare tonight myself. I concur, one of the better value bourbons. Its mashbill, one of only 3 bourbon mashbills Buffalo Trace distills, is the same as Benchmark and Old Charter on the low end, and EH Taylor and Stagg on the high end. An older version of the standard Buffalo Trace. A great middle ground between the grain forward younger versions and the oak and dark fruit of the older versions. Age stated (still!) at 10 years. It's a great one to seek out. Varies in price in KC from $33-$40. 20190228_190108.jpg

irratebass

Churchill
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Finished an eagle rare tonight myself. I concur, one of the better value bourbons. Its mashbill, one of only 3 bourbon mashbills Buffalo Trace distills, is the same as Benchmark and Old Charter on the low end, and EH Taylor and Stagg on the high end. An older version of the standard Buffalo Trace. A great middle ground between the grain forward younger versions and the oak and dark fruit of the older versions. Age stated (still!) at 10 years. It's a great one to seek out. Varies in price in KC from $33-$40. View attachment 1901

Hey watch out! You have reptiles running a muck your kitchen!

gurgalunas

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So I've got too many open bottles. Guess that means I need to focus my efforts to clear room on the Open Table...

This one only had one pour in it, so was an easy target. It's not widely distributed, but it should be. An amazing value bourbon. Its sourced from Heaven Hill, so the booze is good. At 7 years and 101 proof, it's got the right measurables. It really reminds me (and for good reason) of the now discontinued Heaven Hill 6 yr BiB, which was an all-time leader in the value game. Totally fits the Heaven Hill/EC/HMcK profile of brown sugar sweetness with dark fruit. Enough punch to make you remember you're drinking bourbon, but not so much it sacrifices the palate for the next pour. And the price... $12.99 for 1L bottle! If I didnt already have too much bourbon in the bar, I'd be buying this by the case...20190301_170814.jpg

Unpossible_1

Creepy CIA Op
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
So I've got too many open bottles. Guess that means I need to focus my efforts to clear room on the Open Table...

This one only had one pour in it, so was an easy target. It's not widely distributed, but it should be. An amazing value bourbon. Its sourced from Heaven Hill, so the booze is good. At 7 years and 101 proof, it's got the right measurables. It really reminds me (and for good reason) of the now discontinued Heaven Hill 6 yr BiB, which was an all-time leader in the value game. Totally fits the Heaven Hill/EC/HMcK profile of brown sugar sweetness with dark fruit. Enough punch to make you remember you're drinking bourbon, but not so much it sacrifices the palate for the next pour. And the price... $12.99 for 1L bottle! If I didnt already have too much bourbon in the bar, I'd be buying this by the case...View attachment 1911
I think I came upon a bottle of that around here not too long ago. Love gems like that. Helps remind you that you don't need to drop a c-note for a worthy bottle.

gurgalunas

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Ok, you fuckers. You're making me look like I drink too much. Post up!

I've fought this one tooth and nail. It's been on the open table for 3 years. Gotta admit, its improved with air time. Willetts Pot Still Reserve is allocated in my area. Personally, not sure why. The best thing about this one is the "I Dream of Jeanie" bottle. And the worst thing is the bottle. It's a shelf hog. Bigger at the base than a 1.75...

This brand is now Willett Distilled product, meaning it 4-6 year old whiskey, max. A new bottle is pretty grain-forward, which isnt my thing. This one, after sitting, is actually relatively enjoyable. A sweetness is present, but not a lot of oak. Like tasting a Dutch butter cookie? You know, the ones that come in tins at Chtistmas? Pretty thin and one-dimensional. Anyway, if you like younger spirits, and unique bottles, go for it. First and last for me...

20190302_172532.jpg

Last edited:

Unpossible_1

Creepy CIA Op
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
This ought to make you feel better.
EA28CE1C-9279-4926-9ACD-3E4091896F0F.jpeg
Recent conquests.
Lot 40 was a random pick up that really grew to be a great pour after opening it. Not nearly as sweet as most Canadian stuff but less spice than your average American rye.
The Willett was a little disappointing after hearing some hype. It was good but nothing really to it. Definitely a cool looking shelf piece though.
Wild Turkey 101 is one of those bottles that still has a stigma and those willing to look past that are very happy. Lots of spice without any heat. Reminds me of being a kid again and popping red hots over and over and coming back for more. Just a cheap and great pour. Also one that could be a mixer and not make you sad with such a low price point.

gurgalunas

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Not a usual sipper for me, but it's good. Bajan (Barbados) rums are perfection to me. The two main distilleries are Foursquare and Mt Gay. The key to their quality is the need to make it perfect. Bajan law dictates that additives cannot be added to their rums, so no sugar, liqueurs, glycerin, etc are added to the spirit. I'll get off my rum soapbox, but will leave this in case anyone is interested...

Fuckery in the Rum Industry and Short-sightedness

So, why this one, and how is it? Actually I bought this one for Hot Buttered Rum cocktails, but ran out of the "batter" just before I ran out of rum. It has good flavor for a 5 yr rum, a little thin, but solid. I much prefer the 12 yr version, but wouldnt dare mix it...

So, dont shy from the Real McCoy brand. It's made by FourSquare, but the 5 yr is probably the least of their products. If available, grab the McCoy 12, Doorley brand, Seale brand, or best yet, the Foursquare Exceptional Cask series. You wont regret it...20190304_191047.jpg