What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

The time i partied with Pantera....

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
A lot of guys will say I'm full of shit. Whatever. Not trying to impress anyone. I grew up in the late 80's/ early 90's in Burleson, Texas, about 15 miles south of Fort Worth. You know, the town that Kelly Clarkson is from....
Anywho, I grew up on a steady diet of hard rock. My friends and I would go see Pantera at a hole in the wall club called Joe's Garage. They played a week in Ft.Worth, and a week at The Basement in Dallas. I saw them at least 20 times that year. 1989, I'm 18. Working at a printing company in Ft. Worth called Motheral Printing. My pressman at the time was one cool Motherfucker named Ernie Grimaldo.
His brother in law is the road manager fpr a band called Disciple.(opening fpr Pantera at the time) Not my kinda music, but he tells me he arranged for me to get backstage at a club in Houston to meet with Pantera right before Cowboys from Hell went nationwide.
Me and a buddy drove down there, and, long story short, I met everyone of Pantera, shook their hands, and even drank from Darrel's 7 &7 at the after-party. ( He was known as Diamond Darrel, not Dime Bag at this time. ) We actually set across from each other in the motel room talking tattoos. Really cool people, althou gh I was leary of Phil due to his beliefs.
( Had a couple Satanist tattoos)
This story goes on for a while, but yes, I met and partied with everyone of those crazy bastards except fpr Phil, which drove home after the concert to New Orleans.
Believe it or not, I swear to God it's a true story....

Last edited:

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Funny thing is, is no one from my current life believes me. I swear on my kids lives it's a true story. This was before they went nationwide.
To be honest, their music got harder and harder, to the point I wasn't a fan. Their hits are awesome though.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Great story, Robert.
I get crap all the time for partying with Europe (The Final Countdown).
Oh, they believe I partied with them, but ask, "Why?"
Of all the bands, you're story is Europe??
I get it. But still...
Europe?? ( you even had to point out their ONLY hit)
Damn it, now all I hear is Doodle- do- do, doodle- doo-doo -doo......
Hell, Id' ve been happy to meet them as well

Last edited:

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I grew up idolizing Jimmy Page.
I'm as big of a Zeppelin fan as you can find. Them and AC/DC. Those were my go-to bands. I did love Pink Floyd from 75 to 80 when the Wall came out, but my heart is with Zeppelin, forever and always. Never was a fan of Clapton.
Nowadays, I crank up Five Finger Death Punch, Seether, and even like a little Nickleback. (No, I'm not queer)
Godsmack was great until the 4th album....

Pretty much everything that is on Turbo Top 100 on the app, I'm jamming to. I reserve the Zeppelin and such for quiet times at the house when the wife isn't around.
Zeppelin is still the greatest band ever, IMO

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
It's funny, I'll be 50 in August, and get comments all the time about my FFDP sticker on the jeep, asking if this is my boys ride....
Lol
As long as lyrics are sung, and not screamo, I can hang. The moment dog barking lyrics come on, I'm out....
20210610_185456.jpg

MikeNice81

Rothschild
I get the same thing when I tell people some of the country singers I met. I always think, "I was working in a studio in Nashville, why is it hard to believe?"

I also cussed one out and nearly fought him in front of the studio. That story I don't tell publicly. There was always a rule that any thing that can hurt an artist's public image was kept private or amongst friends.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I'd like to hear some of the artists you worked with. Anything country before achy, breaky heart was badass, imo.
I still listen to a lot of older country, along with a ton of new red dirt music. I'm kinda like Kid Rock, and love everything from Patsy Cline to Pantera. Good music is good music, no matter the genre.
Even had a stint with rap, as long as it's Eazy E, or Slick Rick.....

MikeNice81

Rothschild
I worked mainly in hip hop, development work, and rock demos. Most of the artists I met were working on other projects.

My favorite meeting was Dolly Parton. She lights up a room in a way you can't describe. It is like meeting the embodiment of light, joy, and love . She deserves all of the positive things people say about her.

The stories I heard about Billy Ray Cyrus made my blood boil. There is a reason he doesn't work in Nashville often. I won't repeat them, bit it doesn't surprise me that his kids turned out the way they did.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I wish I could post up some of my Playlists. Huge fan of Don Williams, John Conley, Randy Travis, etc.
Then there is my hard rock stuff like Metallica (first 4 albums) Sabbath, Boston, Floyd, Rush, Godsmack, etc. I'm a mix of different stuff. My heart will always be with hard rock though

MikeNice81

Rothschild
Never was a fan of Dolly. I know she has a huge following, but never saw anything to keep me listening.....
I don't really listen to her. She has become more famous for her philanthropy and personality than her music.

The Tennessee legislature voted to build a statue of her on capitol grounds and she told them to stop. She wanted them to use the money to help people suffering during the lockdowns.

Just a small list of her philanthropic deeds

Tacket

Lonsdale
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Opened for Clint Black a few years back with an emerging artist from Nashville (who never quite emerged). Great dude and really awesome guys in his band.

Played Fuji Rock many moons ago when Ben Harper was the headliner. Didn’t hang much with him — actually had more conversation with his 13 yo kid who was on tour with him.

Did another festival a few years before that on Toronto Island (I think it was the Canadian version of the Virgin Music Festival) and a Bjork was heading. Her show had some sort of lighting rig error and she was PISSED. Her entire crew lined up at the catwalk while she stormed off — they were all bowing. It was weird. SHe hopped on a golf cart and zoomed off.

We had to share boats to get off the island back to Toronto proper. There were supposedly other well know bands that we shared the bot with, but didn’t do much chatting with any of them.

Lots more random stories from being on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary

Diadema
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I like it all. But mumble rap, nobody likes mumble rap. I use to try learning dimes riffs on the guitar when he was alive putting shit on youtube. Been a fan since vdop came out. And then I settle down with a beer get in a zone a jam george straight to hank sr then turn around and bang three six mafia and project pat. The song doesn't make who you are but invests itself on your feelings at the moment. Dime was one of the best guitarist that will ever live, but for other people it could be jimmy page, van Halen or someone else depending on your taste of music. Not sure how that works with rap (speed?) But just live for the moment. I've had some non desirable transactions with one of the peoples I have mentioned and won't tell about it. But if I got fingered or pissed on by dime I'd tell ya. I moved to Iowa a few months before he was murdered, my brother told me about it he seen it on the news. That just made me splurge on all there albums and even damageplan. Aight I'm drunk peace.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I like it all. But mumble rap, nobody likes mumble rap. I use to try learning dimes riffs on the guitar when he was alive putting shit on youtube. Been a fan since vdop came out. And then I settle down with a beer get in a zone a jam george straight to hank sr then turn around and bang three six mafia and project pat. The song doesn't make who you are but invests itself on your feelings at the moment. Dime was one of the best guitarist that will ever live, but for other people it could be jimmy page, van Halen or someone else depending on your taste of music. Not sure how that works with rap (speed?) But just live for the moment. I've had some non desirable transactions with one of the peoples I have mentioned and won't tell about it. But if I got fingered or pissed on by dime I'd tell ya. I moved to Iowa a few months before he was murdered, my brother told me about it he seen it on the news. That just made me splurge on all there albums and even damageplan. Aight I'm drunk peace.
Well said, and I agree 100%

Old Smokey

Lonsdale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was 18-20 years old I partied about 20 times with Steve and Cassie Gaines. Steves band played about once a month at a roadhouse in Kansas and they invited me to join them on their breaks. Steve went on to play for Lynyrd Skynyrd and Cassie was a member of the Honkettes that sang backup for LS. They both died in the plane crash in 1977. Steve was a hell of a guitar player and was also a good dude.

My first wife was Steve Millers brothers girlfriend for almost 7 years and was best friends with Millers girlfriend. I met his brother a couple of times and he was always strung out on H and a couple of times it became pretty dicey around him.