What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Tech help for the Technically Challenged...

Glassman

Corona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question numeros unos.

Alright Geniuses, I'm hoping you can help me out. I really don't want to have to get another computer right now. ..

I've asked da google, but haven't got it figured out.

Something is causing my computer to lag like crazy, and get so painfully slow I can't get any work done.

Constantly having to restart. Can't figure out what processes are causing the problem. I keep a lot of tabs and windows open, but it's kinda necessary.

It'll run fine for a couple hours, then things go all to shit. Kinda suspect it might have something to do with a past windows update, but I dunno.

(Running windows 7)

I tried to block and skip all the windows 10 forced upgrade attempts, but apparently some of the shit slipped through.

Not sure if it's related, but I get these compattellrunner and diagtrackrunner empty windows that pop up regularly. I've followed the online instructions to get rid of them, but they keep coming back.

Any ideas?

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
open your task manager and sort by memory use, I know I have to reboot chrome or IE multiple times a day since I have 10 tabs open usually, memory leaks tend to happen

Glassman

Corona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
open your task manager and sort by memory use, I know I have to reboot chrome or IE multiple times a day since I have 10 tabs open usually, memory leaks tend to happen
You think that's the problem? Yeah, I have multiple windows and tabs of Firefox, opera, and Chrome going usually, and they do show to be pulling the most memory usage by far.

It just seemed like it used to handle it much better.

Bostoneo

The Chosen One
Staff member
Rating - 100%
262   0   0
everytime I get freeze ups like that its something hogging the memory, I just end task it and the pc comes back alive, you're kind of doing the same thing when you reboot

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
You think that's the problem? Yeah, I have multiple windows and tabs of Firefox, opera, and Chrome going usually, and they do show to be pulling the most memory usage by far.

It just seemed like it used to handle it much better.
Everytime theres an update it gets worse sadly. can you use just one browser for your day to day?

Prine

Robusto
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
I typically suggest running ccleaner, that will get rid of anything you might have stuck in your browser cache etc. Be aware that you will loose your history and possibly saved passwords depending on the options chosen. Sometimes that will help, depending on what is causing it.

How much free hard drive space do you have? May want to check to see if the drive is defragged (typically this is automated in Windows 7, but if you turn off your computer all the time it might not run). Right click on the hard drive > Choose the Tools tab > defragment now > should show the last defrag time.

Glassman

Corona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically suggest running ccleaner, that will get rid of anything you might have stuck in your browser cache etc. Be aware that you will loose your history and possibly saved passwords depending on the options chosen. Sometimes that will help, depending on what is causing it.

How much free hard drive space do you have? May want to check to see if the drive is defragged (typically this is automated in Windows 7, but if you turn off your computer all the time it might not run). Right click on the hard drive > Choose the Tools tab > defragment now > should show the last defrag time.
Mmm. CCleaner might be a good plan. It stays defragged, it's on often enough for that.
Plenty of HD space.
I'm afraid I'm getting forced into a current os. Gonna have to get something with SSD and an utterly absurd amount of ram.

jvd1230

Petite Lancero
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
One thing i experienced before my upgrade to SSD for my OS drve was that id routinely saturate the read write speed on my cheapo 5400 rpm hdd. This would cause some pretty serious performance issues. Try backing up your important stuff, then do a new windows install on a SSD :)