What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Paging All Comic Book Nerds

admartinct

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I just got into comic books this year with a small push/suggestion from @TexaSmoke , so far I've been fully engulfed in the Chris Claremont era of X-men, starting with GSXM #1 and getting all the way up to Uncanny X-Men #120 as of last night. To companion this, I've read Wolverine Origins, Marvel Presents: Weapon X, Logan: Path of a Warlord, Logan: Shadow Society, and some random Deadpool issues here and there as I resonate with his humor.

I've found myself getting a little burnt out from reading too much Uncanny X-Men, I was hoping to get some suggestions from some of you guys as to some other series recommendations since there are so many out there; when I look around online or at my local shop I feel like I'm on an alien planet. My only hang up is I don't want to get ahead of the current X-Men story line by jumping into a related series t like XForce or Alpha Flight just yet- both which I'm extremely interested in for the future. I currently subscribe to Marvel Unlimited but I'm definitely open to series by other publishers as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys.

el_mustango

Corona
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've been collecting for years. Pretty much exclusively Marvel. So many good suggestions. Claremont X-men is great. I liked Todd McFarlane's Amazing Spider-Man run. The Chris Claremont and Frank Miller 1982 Wolverine mini-series is essential.

Unpossible_1

Creepy CIA Op
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Here are a handful I can think of to start with.
Batman: The Killing Joke, Hush, Knightfall, Year One, The Dark Night Returns, Court of Owls
Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage, Venom, Sinister Six, Kraven's Last Hunt
The Sandman, The Watchmen, Kingdom Come, Marvels, Crisis on Infinite Earths
Fantastic Four (Lee&Kirby era)
Captain America (Ed Brubaker era) this was a heavy influence on the Marvel movies as well.
Ultimate Spider-Man (Brian Michael Bendis era, really any of his Civil War and pre-Civil War stuff were pretty damn good)
The Ultimates vol 1
Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity War
Kree Skrull War
Superman: Red Son
Invincible

admartinct

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think between these two posts alone I'll be busy for a long, long time, I appreciate it! Spider-Man is one of the series I've been really looking to get into but have had a hard time figuring out where to start, along with a number of the other big-name marvel characters. This helps a lot.
Thanks guys @el_mustango @Unpossible_1

admartinct

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Really, if you want to check out Spider-Man, you can't go wrong with starting from the beginning. Stan Lee and Steve Ditko is great stuff!
I really enjoy origin stories and have a hard time just jumping into a character so that's great to know. I've been eyeing the Marvel Masterworks: The Amazing Spider-Man #1 book (Collects Amazing Fantasy 15, Amazing Spider-Man 1-10) as an option to bring on my summer camping trip since I wont be able to read digitally, now I think it's a must-have.

I have no idea why it took me almost 26 years to get into comics, I guess 'better late than never'.

el_mustango

Corona
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Here are a handful I can think of to start with.
Batman: The Killing Joke, Hush, Knightfall, Year One, The Dark Night Returns, Court of Owls
Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage, Venom, Sinister Six, Kraven's Last Hunt
The Sandman, The Watchmen, Kingdom Come, Marvels, Crisis on Infinite Earths
Fantastic Four (Lee&Kirby era)
Captain America (Ed Brubaker era) this was a heavy influence on the Marvel movies as well.
Ultimate Spider-Man (Brian Michael Bendis era, really any of his Civil War and pre-Civil War stuff were pretty damn good)
The Ultimates vol 1
Infinity Gauntlet and Infinity War
Kree Skrull War
Superman: Red Son
Invincible

A lot of great suggestions here.

irratebass

Churchill
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Some great stuff, and if you're looking for a few more may I suggest:

Watchmen
The Walking Dead (so much better than the tv show)
Preacher (better than the tv show, but the show is really close)
Batman: Son Of The Demon (this one made me ball like a baby)

admartinct

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Some great stuff, and if you're looking for a few more may I suggest:

Watchmen
The Walking Dead (so much better than the tv show)
Preacher (better than the tv show, but the show is really close)
Batman: Son Of The Demon (this one made me ball like a baby)
Thanks Mickey! Watchmen have been on my radar for a little while after seeing the movie, I really love the alternate reality plot.
I had a roommate in college who loved The Walking Dead comics and played the companion game, it always sounded interesting. The other two I haven't heard of but will look into for sure.👍

el_mustango

Corona
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Marvels by Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross is one of my favorites. "The story in Marvels is essentially a history of Marvel Comics, told through the eyes of a civilian who follows the evolution of the Marvel superheroes. It is freaking fantastic!!" Ross' art is beautiful and Busiek's story is clever and fascinating. I highly recommend it.

Not a superhero graphic novel, but I have to recommend Maus. "The Pulitzer Prize-winning Maus tells the story of Vladek Spiegelman, a Jewish survivor of Hitler’s Europe, and his son, a cartoonist coming to terms with his father’s story. Maus approaches the unspeakable through the diminutive. Its form, the cartoon (the Nazis are cats, the Jews mice), shocks us out of any lingering sense of familiarity and succeeds in “drawing us closer to the bleak heart of the Holocaust” (The New York Times).

+1 for Watchmen and V for Vendetta. Really, anything by Alan Moore, including From Hell and his run on Swamp Thing.

+1 for The Sandman by Neil Gaiman.

admartinct

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I’m disappointed sandman is DC and not on Marbel Unlimited, i’m going to try and get some physical copies soon. I loved Good Omens and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, i’m going to have to see what else he put out.

UPTOWNSMOKE

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just got back into comics after 30+ years away. Still have part of my collection.

Try Immortal Hulk, Very well written by Al Ewing and cover art by the great Alex Ross.

Batman Damned, DC Black Label.

The Batman Who Laughs

Detective Comics from #1000 is pretty good.

Image Comics has some good books also, Gideon Falls, DIE and The Walking DEad to name a few.

Lots of great books out there.

I mainly now only collect for spec, Golden and Silver Age.

admartinct

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I just got back into comics after 30+ years away. Still have part of my collection.

Try Immortal Hulk, Very well written by Al Ewing and cover art by the great Alex Ross.

Batman Damned, DC Black Label.

The Batman Who Laughs

Detective Comics from #1000 is pretty good.

Image Comics has some good books also, Gideon Falls, DIE and The Walking DEad to name a few.

Lots of great books out there.

I mainly now only collect for spec, Golden and Silver Age.
Thanks for the suggestions! A lot of these i’ve seen at my shop and just haven’t known enough about them to grab an issue (I should have just asked the guy who works there). They have Batman Who Laughs and I think i’ve picked up issue 1 and put it down 3-4 times already, I guess I should just pull the trigger.
I think you previously recommended x-23 to me, I read the first issue of the new series and it was pretty good, I enjoy the sister-to-sister humor of the young mutants.

I appreciate all the insight from you guys, many of these I wouldn’t have known to venture into, it’s exciting.
I put my name down for the new House of X and Powers of X first issues coming out in July a few days before my camping trip, i can’t wait. They’re supposed to serve as another pivotal moment in the X-Men saga. I’m just getting to the Phoenix era and I feel like I’m decades behind - literally.

You can The Sandman for free if you have Kindle Unlimited.
Thanks for the heads up! I wasn’t aware they were on kindle.

Unpossible_1

Creepy CIA Op
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
He's spreading all his stuff across the board. American Gods on Starz, Good Omens on Amazon, and now Sandman on Netflix....which must be because Marvel is leaving Netflix for the Disney streaming service.

Eulogy

Belicoso
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Bit late but a lot of great suggestions. Y: The Last Man is amazing if you haven't read it. The reboot of Wonder woman but was great but I think they rebooted it again. It's been a bit since I was really reading comics.