What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Just starting out, in the reading phase

fisherclive

Robusto
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Hey guys,

I heard somewhere that you could use newspaper instead of a wooden cigar mold.
How would that work and how do you go about using newspaper?
I searched on google but didn't see much.
I'm trying to avoid buying a mold until I know for sure I'm going to stick with this.

I appreciate any info and advice.

Thanks

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Hey guys,

I'm trying to avoid buying a mold until I know for sure I'm going to stick with this.

Thanks

I made one for like 25$ with wood and bolts. It works pretty good, not great.

f94df348c7a0ccb6f4f59e789c88dc22.jpg

ef3b2ff5d16d66705c49e4d3ccc69cda.jpg

Stupid Tapatalk

fisherclive

Robusto
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
That looks great. I was thinking about doing that, but all the ones I've seen have a lip that the other side fits in. I'm nowhere near capable of that kind of woodworking.
Did you use a block of wood and drill the holes then cut it in half?

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
That looks great. I was thinking about doing that, but all the ones I've seen have a lip that the other side fits in. I'm nowhere near capable of that kind of woodworking.
Did you use a block of wood and drill the holes then cut it in half?

Samsies. Missing that lip is why it's not perfect. I took a stair tread (have had zero issues with off flavors in cigars), cut 4 squares out of it for 2 molds. Clamped two halves together. Drilled bolt holes. Bolted tight. Laid out my cigar "tubes" with centers on seem. Used a spoon/spade bit to drill. Piece of pipe with sand paper to clean up after.

Stupid Tapatalk

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
read, read, watch a video, read, watch another video and read some more.

then just jump in. you're gonna roll some shit cigars (both in quality and actual smokeability). pay close attention to casing and do not be afraid to fuck up. again and again. dont worry about being too technical either. get the process down. keep a cigar handy that matches what your'e aiming for. (ie a robusto, corona, etc) that way you can pick it up and feel it, its super helpful.

Marc L

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Thanks

Just like a wrapper. Its about an inch and a half wide.

here are some quotes from ....

Jim D.. "I use newspaper strips, starting at the head and applying like a wrapper leaf. This applies the molding strip in the opposite direction of the binder and seems to apply a more consistent force to the bunch. If the binder and paper are applied in the same direction, when their edges align, it focuses too much force there and makes an uneven bunch."

Bob.. "If the cigar has parallel sides (is a parejo cylinder), the you could use a wide paper strip over the entire cigar length, the way toilet paper wraps around its cardboard tube. That would allow multiple passes over the whole cigar, and easily equalize the compression. Maybe even just twist the two ends when you're done. You might call it the party-popper mold. (Is it important to use newspaper with soy-based ink? Are colored comics toxic? Will the headlines transfer onto a light colored binder leaf?)

But...I'm not a newspaperologist or even a moldologist."

Let me know if this is helping later I'll come back.

Jim D

Petite Lancero
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like a wrapper. Its about an inch and a half wide.

here are some quotes from ....

Jim D.. "I use newspaper strips, starting at the head and applying like a wrapper leaf. This applies the molding strip in the opposite direction of the binder and seems to apply a more consistent force to the bunch. If the binder and paper are applied in the same direction, when their edges align, it focuses too much force there and makes an uneven bunch."

Bob.. "If the cigar has parallel sides (is a parejo cylinder), the you could use a wide paper strip over the entire cigar length, the way toilet paper wraps around its cardboard tube. That would allow multiple passes over the whole cigar, and easily equalize the compression. Maybe even just twist the two ends when you're done. You might call it the party-popper mold. (Is it important to use newspaper with soy-based ink? Are colored comics toxic? Will the headlines transfer onto a light colored binder leaf?)

But...I'm not a newspaperologist or even a moldologist."

Let me know if this is helping later I'll come back.
I couldn't have said it better myself...

Nacho Daddy

Foggus Emeritus
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
you don't need to be too worried about your first 50 sticks.
get busy and roll something,take it apart and do it again.
My first 50 sticks were ugly,multi size and length,and the majority smoked very well.
I used the newspaper method of pressing,having seen Pepin Garcia use this method to transport blanks to a rolling event.
it's a lot of fun,and if not you need to stop.