What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Gurgalunas' Fun Contest reviews

qpzmide

Eric
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
@Dran I keep wondering what factors caused the burn issues. Was it all the cigar? How much of a role did the gusty wind play? The cigar was kept in the 5 finger bag with the bodega pack you sent. Didn't seem humid outside, but was that an issue???

I've no doubt that the flavor of the cigar was adversely affected by the burn issues. When you have to try to keep it lit, you smoke too fast. And the relights and touch ups couldn't have helped. I won't hesitate to try the Boli again, I couldn't have gotten the true experience...
From everything you described, my guess is it was too wet. I can't recall having any burn issues from Bolivars and very few construction issues.

gurgalunas

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It was one if the mini boveda packs dran sent. I'll have to check %.

I didnt put the bag in the humi. It was at 68 degrees, sitting on top of the humi, bag sealed. House RH is low, so shouldn't have picked up anything beyond the boveda%.

EDIT- 62% boveda.

Last edited:

qpzmide

Eric
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
It was one if the mini boveda packs dran sent. I'll have to check %.

I didnt put the bag in the humi. It was at 68 degrees, sitting on top of the humi, bag sealed. House RH is low, so shouldn't have picked up anything beyond the boveda%.

EDIT- 62% boveda.
Interesting....it could have been a dud but I've smoked many Bolivars and can not recall having one smoke like what you dealt with. You said you had to use the perfect draw - was it still a little tight afterwards or were you able to get easy puffs? That could have played a role. ---maybe you just need a couple more samples....:sneaky:

gurgalunas

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Perfect draw opened it up fairly well. After some of the issues, I hit it again too. I cant say it was opened fully, but was definitely a smokable cigar, in terms of draw.

As for needing samples, there's a solid chance I have another lurking in the tupperdore... despite what Master of Instigation @Opie says, my "noobness" has not been neglected in the least...

gurgalunas

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Rainy evening, but I let contestant D acclimate for a bit to the low indoor humidity before coming outside.15538258317404091924675168945004.jpg

Cigar is about 5ishx50+. Darker wrapper than the rest so far. Oily. Usual smell of barnyard- I think I'm in a smelling rut and only smell barnyard. Need more practice in this regard, and better vocabulary.

Prelight draw again grassy...

Use guillotine instead of V, draw is great.

First third, I have a hard time putting this thing down. Fantastic mild chocolate, coffee, leather. Very light pepper. Burn is excellent, ash firm and white.

I already think I know what this is. One of my favorites, by my favorite (so far) brand. Ash still holding as I enter 2/3, bet I can get 2". Flavor still savory, with a great combo of pepper, sweetness, coffee, chocolate, and leather- like walking into an expensive leather shop.

20190328_221154.jpg

Final third gets more potent, both in strength and flavor. Leans harder on the coffee and dark chocolate, less leather and sweetness. Pepper still present, but not a one-dimensional bomb. Smoked the whole cigar with only dropping ash in the tray twice.

Overall, medium-full on strength and flavor. Billowing smoke. Perfect burn, even in the 100% humidity.

Officially, I'll guess this to be Nicaraguan, by My Father. I'm betting Le Bijou. I've only smoked 2 of these, one a torpedo last October, and a petite robusto this winter. If I'm wrong, I've got a new one to buy in quantity.

I'd rate this a 9/10.

Jody

Rothschild
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damn, wrong again, but not far off. First Oliva V for me. That one was good, time to start watching the sales...
View attachment 2585
Holt’s has great sales on Oliva cigars every week. The Series V is on sale a couples times a week usually. The double toro is on a flash sale today. Keep an eye out, the robusto sizes are usually on there a couple times a week.
1 Day Flash Sale

Jody

gurgalunas

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I keep seeing these on sale, but having never tried one, I never knew which to buy. Almost pulled the trigger multiple times. Interested in hearing comparisons to Melanio and maduro versions too.

Opie

Belicoso
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Perfect draw opened it up fairly well. After some of the issues, I hit it again too. I cant say it was opened fully, but was definitely a smokable cigar, in terms of draw.

As for needing samples, there's a solid chance I have another lurking in the tupperdore... despite what Master of Instigation @Opie says, my "noobness" has not been neglected in the least...
@Opie is quite the instagator

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk
hey! that hurts, I'm innocent.

so, Craig needs more Boli's ?

gurgalunas

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Well, it's time to finish the Fun Contest reviews...20190401_115542.jpg
Wrapper is dark compared to most of the others, and reminds me of the smell of a wet dog, oddly enough. Prelight is vegetal. Maybe green grass? Draw kinda tough, so give it a little work over with the PD.

This one goes straight to the espresso, bitter dark chocolate end of the spectrum, eventually mellowing slightly to include some leather. Pepper is mild, mid palate. Ash is white and firm.

Turkeys are raising a ruckus across the pond, one loudmouth hen wont shut up. A distant gobbler responds occasionally. Damn, I love spring... My smokin buddy, Nash, cant figure out the racket...20190401_122604.jpg

As I finish the first third, flavor stays at espresso, but only half-heartedly. Not a bold, chewy flavor, just kinda there. Pepper ramps up in 2/3. Starting to get a lot of air in this, find a split in 3/3. Oh well, this one is pretty one-dimensional to me. Expresso and pepper. Not much else to report the rest of the way.

I'll say Nicaraguan. Not really sure on this one.

gurgalunas

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
155414148219261186832356253425.jpg

First Punch for me. I didnt get much sweetness from this stick, and missed the leather that was plentiful in the Oliva V I had earlier. I'll give this another try someday, as my palate might not have been "on".

@Dran , I gotta thank you for offering this opportunity. Smoking blind was a lot of fun, and I feel like I learned a ton from having to really focus on what I was tasting. The thought process involved makes the cigars that are not "on profile" for my personal preferences more enjoyable. Fantastic experience!

Dran

Churchill
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Been great reading the write ups! Good descriptions given! Been fun! Also getting a lot of joy from the reviews from the blind pass I organised elsewhere! Once that one winds down, if theres enough interest here, I'd be more than happy to run one here. Unless someone else is felling especially motivated and wants to run it!

Sent from my LGL83BL using Tapatalk