What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Considering My First Habanos Purchase

MikeNice81

Rothschild
I am considering my first purchase of forbidden fruit. I have picked out corona family cigars from different markas and ones that come in smaller packs. (I don't want to drop the money on a full box and get disappointed.)

I was wondering if anybody could provide any suggestions on quality issues to look out for, opinions on which might be best for an August birthday surprise, and general feedback.

multi-useless

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I just replied on the other forum, lol... but yeah, glad you posted here because now we can talk vendors.

I’ve never used cigar one, so I can’t say how good they are but I’ll tag @Nacho Daddy - Tom, any experience with cigar one?

Also, maybe check out FOH - they’re not the cheapest for boxes but they do sell singles at less $/stick than what you’d be paying per stick with the fivers above. They don’t sell everything as singles (I didn’t see HUHC for example), but Epi 1 are only $13 each buying singles from FOH if you can forgo the tubes... Monte 4 for $9 each is only marginally cheaper, but if you’re looking for variety, you can spread your money around more marcas instead of having to buy fivers. And although shipping from Australia takes a little longer, FOH is legit - you’ll get your cigars, and they’ll arrive in good condition

Nacho Daddy

Foggus Emeritus
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Cigar One is expensive, and they charge a big shipping fee.

For the last couple of years their inventory has declined, and the cost of their Regional sticks has gone way up.

I use IHavanas (Bryan ) and Cigars of Habanos (Ravi ) and have done so for many years , I have built a strong relationship with both and find the inventories to be better, the prices better, and if there is a problem, it gets fixed right quick.
I have had a few lost shipments, every one of them has been reshipped.
Friends of Habanos will ship you a great box, ( PSP ) and their prices are only slightly higher than average.
Puro Express ships moldy cigars every day, and if you question them they will basically tell you to fuck off.

Why mess around, go to proven vendors that will stand with you when problems pop up, and avoid Puro Express.

Nacho Daddy

Foggus Emeritus
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
"if anybody could provide any suggestions on quality issues to look out for, "
you will find CCs have a much lower level of construction.
That's a fact, but you can learn to handle it.
you will probably want to store CCs at or near 63% rH to promote a better burn and give better flavor.
Young CCs will be a bit rowdy, and the flavors will be less harmonious than when aged.

It's a given, the learning curve is steep with CCs, so keep asking if you have a question.

MikeNice81

Rothschild
I looked at a few different vendors and started considering Top Cubans. I worked out 33 cigars for $219 plus free shipping and 21-30 business day delivery from Switzerland. Plus they claim to inspect each box and vacuum seal each shipment.

Monte No4 - 5 pack
Monte Open Juniors - 3 pack
Partagas Serie D No6 - Box of 5
Partagas Mille Fleurs - Box of 10
RyJ - Tubos No 3 - Box of 10

$219.50 or $6.65 a stick

Seems like a good mix of stronger and lighter cigars from the more popular marcas. Plus I know that I like the Series D. I have some NCs I bought with a surprise work bonus coming. So, if I have room and get the wife to approve the bigger than usual pay out I could order in the next week.

I wanted the Bolivar Coronas Junior but all they had were 25 count boxes and that would have limited the variety I could pick up.

Any thought on the new order or Top Cubans?

MikeNice81

Rothschild
Cigar One is expensive, and they charge a big shipping fee.

For the last couple of years their inventory has declined, and the cost of their Regional sticks has gone way up.

I use IHavanas (Bryan ) and Cigars of Habanos (Ravi ) and have done so for many years , I have built a strong relationship with both and find the inventories to be better, the prices better, and if there is a problem, it gets fixed right quick.
I have had a few lost shipments, every one of them has been reshipped.
Friends of Habanos will ship you a great box, ( PSP ) and their prices are only slightly higher than average.
Puro Express ships moldy cigars every day, and if you question them they will basically tell you to fuck off.

Why mess around, go to proven vendors that will stand with you when problems pop up, and avoid Puro Express.

I checked Ihavanas, but they didn't have many of the smaller packages. CoH I only glanced at briefly. I will check them again.

I also plan to buy a Perfect Draw cigar tool after some of the horror stories I read about over packed and plugged Cuban coronas.

Nacho Daddy

Foggus Emeritus
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Monte No4 - 5 pack
Monte Open Juniors - 3 pack.......skip these
Partagas Serie D No6 - Box of 5
Partagas Mille Fleurs - Box of 10
RyJ - Tubos No 3 - Box of 10 .........skip these

see if they offer Upmann ,R.Allones ,Bolivar, even Cuaba.

multi-useless

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Parti Serie D - lovem
RyJ- Lovem more
The Parti Millie Fleurs, I'd personally opt for Parti shorts. We all have our preferences of cigars. But we all agree that CoH and iHav are solid spots
Agreed, party MF’s are pretty light... party shorts are great, and the RyJ MF’s are a steal, usually around $4/stick or less

If only iHavanas shipped to Canada. *Sigh*
Really? That sucks - what about COH and FOH?