What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Humidor Project

Grantster

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I am thinking of making this military ammo can into a humidor. I’ve seen where it’s been done before but am wondering what all should be done to prepare it (if anything)? It has a gasket in the lid and it seems to seal good, should I throw some Boveda packs and a hygrometer inside and see if it holds rh? If so, I figured I’d at least get some cedar trays to set inside. Should I also try to line the sides with cedar? If anyone has any experience or thoughts, any advice is appreciated. E8B3144F-834F-40B6-9639-0E14E14D5916.jpeg40568F88-4B1B-49B1-BA2D-4B034EA09F66.jpeg

Attachments

• 6EF7CBC0-2C12-4BF0-B164-933E75ED33F6.jpeg
    6EF7CBC0-2C12-4BF0-B164-933E75ED33F6.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12

BloodWood

Perfecto
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Kinda like the fugly look. Gives your future humi a rugged panache.
I don't nitpick humi seals. I've got tupperdors with and w/out weather stripping with zero RH issues going on 30 yrs now.

If it were me:
I'd first pressure wash the inside and out (taking care not to hurt the gasket), or hit the entire thing with Greased Lightning and rinse.
Frame out the inside with a non-odorous hardwood or Spanish cedar; depending on your budget.
Get some SC trays or make my own.
Very cool project.
fing34.gif

SoCal Gunner

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is what I’m going off of. Ammodor Shotgun Shell Lighter
That is so bad-ass! I've done the 50 cal ammo cans, both with the ammodor kit and without.

Jump.on Ebay and grab some SC and line the sides and bottom, then make some dividers. Or if you're not up for the woodwork, just get some trays.

The seal works so well, you'll need to "burb" your ammo can every now and then - I still have the original boveda packs from years ago in mine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk