What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Bait caster vs spinning

BigFatPanda

Escaped primate
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've used bait casters just enough to get past being completely aggravated with them.
In my 20s I fished more often and was OK, but never got good enough to avoid at least one fun filled tangle on each trip.

Now I fish less, so to preserve sanity I use spinners.

Another couple years I'm gonna have a zebco with a button(y)

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I've used bait casters just enough to get past being completely aggravated with them.
In my 20s I fished more often and was OK, but never got good enough to avoid at least one fun filled tangle on each trip.

Now I fish less, so to preserve sanity I use spinners.

Another couple years I'm gonna have a zebco with a button(y)

That's about where my old mans at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pennywise827

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I use a Abu Garcia Baitcaster on a 7'2" rod. I usually only keep a buzz bait on it, so I don't get too many birdnests. Usually I can feel when its starting to get a slack loop from a quick stop and can cast it out behind me on the next throw to stretch out the bad spot.

Yakcraz

Toro
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Only spinning reels for me. The list is a little long but it goes from largest, Finn Nor Lethal 100, to smallest, Lews Wally Marshal series 50. I swap between fresh & saltwater fisheries & fish for everything from sharks to bream. Spinning reals have just always worked better for me.

Tyler86

Presidente
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Only spinning reels for me. The list is a little long but it goes from largest, Finn Nor Lethal 100, to smallest, Lews Wally Marshal series 50. I swap between fresh & saltwater fisheries & fish for everything from sharks to bream. Spinning reals have just always worked better for me.

What do you think about LEWS stuff? I've almost bought a few of their bait casters but always end up with Abu Garcia cause I trust them.

Yakcraz

Toro
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What do you think about LEWS stuff? I've almost bought a few of their bait casters but always end up with Abu Garcia cause I trust them.

I was always, as far as baitcasters go, an abu fan too. Their US made reels are hard to beat. But, lews makes really good reels too.

The reason I fish spinning reels now is because I use alot of them in saltwater & fresh , & its just easier to clean them after fishing in the salt. And, most of the freshwater I fish nowadays is in small rivers from the kayak. I mostly use cheaper setups, like shimano siennas & ugly stiks, for that because I’d hate to flip over & loose a really nice combo to the river. Between me & some buddies I fish with, we’ve lost several that way.

But yea, if you’re using baitcatsers you won’t be disappointed with a lews.

Old Smokey

Lonsdale
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Abu baitcaster almost exclusively. Once I got used to using one (it's not difficult) I just love them. Make sure you get a Swedish made and not the Chinese made. I think it has a lot to do with what kind of fish you target. I fish almost exclusively for catfish and sometimes for fun, I target large carp. As far as rods, it's hard to beat an Ugly Stick for price and durability.

IMG_2988.JPG

admartinct

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It was a new state record @35#. I don't think it was caught with a fly rod. It was weighed, measured and released about 3 weeks ago. Bass Pro headquarters is about 45 minutes away and I am glad it was released and not sold to BP to display in one of their aquariums.
Glad they released it, from what I've been told a lot of states take the fish for studies.

MikeZ37

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
They each have specific applications so I’ve got both but I find my self using my baitcasters way more often for large and small mouth bass and my spinning gear more for trout.

Gary

Diadema
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I run 2 shimano corrado 200s with 7'2 fenwick hmx poles and seaguar mono. I also use pflueger presidents and ive had a browning spinner on a bass pro crapie pole ive used for about 14 years. Also a cat maxx spinner and a diowa spinner for river/cats