What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Any Tool fans here? Are you as disappointed as me with the new single?

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
10 years of waiting. 10 years! And the single they just dropped, while as intricate as anything they've ever put out, is nowhere near the same league as
ÆNIMA, Sober, Stinkfist, 46 and 2,Prison Sex, etc..
What are y'alls thoughts?
I've also heard the shortest song on the album tops 7 minutes...
New single is called Fear Inoculum

Last edited:

irratebass

Churchill
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I haven't heard it yet, but I downloaded the album yesterday. I have very low expectations, when it takes band to make a "comeback" record and it takes 10yrs.

Most music disappoints me lately, Weezer.....wtf happened to them? Oh I know.......MONEY, the song Beverly Hills killed them

Green Day same thing with Time Of Your Life

At The Drive In's comeback album was ok, just didn't have the same energy.

Korn - who cares?
Slipknot - Who cares?
Guns N Roses - pphhhtttt please

Sorry these are just my oinions...If I offended anyone? Sorry....not sorry, listen to better music.

el_mustango

Corona
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've been listening to it a lot and I actually love Fear Inoculum. I don't think this particular song breaks any new ground -- it sounds like Tool, just a little bit more refined and mature. I'm really looking forward to the rest of the album.

I also wouldn't consider it a "single" in the traditional sense - Tool just doesn't play by the rules that other bands play by. I look at it as a sneak peak of their upcoming album. I also don't think of this as a comeback album, as Tool always takes a long time between albums. They formed in 1990 and since then they have only released five real albums (and two EPs - Opiate and Salival). That's seven recordings in 29 years. They just move at their own (glacial) pace. I agree that it sets up unrealistic expectations when a band takes so long between albums. In the case of bands like Tool or Radiohead, I just don't think they care about any of that. They make the music they want to make when they are ready to make it. I for one, am along for the ride.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Sorry buddy, they're here to stay.
Touchě!!
I love KoRn, but the fact is, most bands seem to lose their edginess as their popularity increases.
Godsmack is a prime example. The first three albums were damn good. Fast forward 20 years, and WTF was their last album??? They've almost become a parody of themselves. With money and fame, they lost their anger that was the well of inspiration.
Korns latest is the same way. Sounds like them, only staler and reheated. Zeppelin, Metallica, the list goes on and on.... This seems to be a recurring theme in hard rock, IMO.
I've been really digging Five Finger Death Punch lately.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
One band that never strayed from their roots ever was AC/DC. Same three power chords, same ideals. No love ballads, (Whole Lotta Rosie excluded, lol), no deep introspective lyrics, just hard hitting rock. Party music. They had several albums that were complete flops, but at least you knew what you were getting with each new album...

el_mustango

Corona
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
One band that never strayed from their roots ever was AC/DC. Same three power chords, same ideals. No love ballads, (Whole Lotta Rosie excluded, lol), no deep introspective lyrics, just hard hitting rock. Party music. They had several albums that were complete flops, but at least you knew what you were getting with each new album...

Yeah, but is this a good thing?

Sweemzander

Meadmaker
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i do not have an opinion yet
That being said, for any band/music. Do we really want bands to release the same kind of stuff album after album? I for one enjoy listening to bands in how they change/mautre/evolve with each album - for better or worse. For the band though, its really a lose/lose situation these days. We praise them for staying the same or We scorn them for staying the same. Likewise if they change it up
interesting example - Deftones - pretty much have churned out the same stuff over the years, yet each album feels very different, yet very much them

I'm not feelin' it. I think they've run out of ideas. I'm not impressed with "Invincible" either. "Descending" is a decent tune, but still sounds like stuff off the last two albums. Only a few days left till the release.

BigSkySmoke

Petite Lancero
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pretty much the same as @Sweemzander

Hard to judge a band that creates a musical experience based on the whole album. While I'm not crazy about the new single...Im holding out my judgement until I listen to the complete album...like 20 times.

Honestly, I wasn't the biggest fan of 10,000 days once it was released. It was much different then
Lateralus, but grew on me more everytime I listened to it. So until I can hear the whole thing complete, its impossible for me to say...

Last edited: