What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

5 Vegas Friggin A

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! So I thought I'd post an honest review of the 5 Vegas Friggin' A. I bought a 5 pack of these way back when I first started to explore cigars. Got a 'really good deal' on CBid - pretty sure I spent ~12 bucks for the pack. New smoker that I was thought 'holy crap! That's bigger than a churchill!' Me and my undeveloped palate must have thought they were pretty decent; I smoked two of them soon after ordering. A few months went by, and I got more of a taste for cigars. What to look for, how to separate flavors. And I had some really good cigars, thanks to advice and merciless bombings from brothers here and elsewhere. Eventually I grabbed a third Friggin A out of my humidor.

My, how things had changed. I remember trying to enjoy it. I remember being so severely let down that I didn't even get through the first 1/4 before giving up on nostalgia and tossing the stick out.

Fast forward to today. I'm getting ready to do some yard work. I usually like to grab out a cheap cigar to puff on while I'm working - one that I don't care too much about in case something happens to it. The two remaining 5 Vegas sit in my humidor, staring up at me from my other sticks. What the heck. They can't really be as bad as I remember, could they?

1hK4bwz.jpg

So I light it up, and fire up the mower.
Firstly I'll say a few things to its credit. The damned thing burned great. The whole almost two hours it took to finish this thing I only relit it once, and that was my fault for letting it sit too long while I had to go inside. No tunneling, no burn corrections needed. Great draw even! Honestly, construction wise it was one of the best cigars I've had recently.

Then there's the flavor profile.
I've heard that some cigar manufacturers - cheap ones - will sometimes use paper as either a wrapper or filler. But as many times as I've heard that, I've always written it off as either a tinfoil hat theory or a snide joke about how flavorless a cigar is. Lemme tell ya - after this cigar I no longer have any doubt.

This is normally the spot where you'd talk about each third, how the flavor profile changed and became more of this or that after purging or retrohaling. Unfortunately, I have none of those notes. This cigar started out with all the flavor of cardboard, and continued throughout. And as a former child arsonist, let me assure you I know burnt cardboard when I taste it. Every now and again I'd get a promise of maybe leather or pepper. But those were few and far between. Maybe a hint of sand here or there. For NEARLY 120 MINUTES. That's it.

Towards the end of the cigar, my mower started smoking a bit. It does that now and again, I need to take it to the shop. Pretty sure the mower enjoyed its smoke better than I did mine.

So anyway - mama didn't raise no quitter. But man, maybe she should've.

pszkvHf.jpg

I'll save the band, because it looks nice. I've been kinda wanting to dissect a cigar - I may crack open that last one in my humidor just to see what's in there!

Anyway, thanks for reading my review! If you like these, I bear you no ill will; we just have different tastes!

Hope your smoke today was better than mine!

The camaro show

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back when I first started I had a gold that I didn’t think was bad. I remember it being creamy and nutty and pepper throughout the way but didn’t build up just a nice finish but again that was right when I started. It’s interesting how you can love a stick first time and have it again and hate it.