What's new
Society of Smoke

Welcome to Society of Smoke, the premiere gentlemans' site for cigar and pipe tobacco smoking discussion! Please take some time to register with the site and participate in our forum to enjoy features such as being able to post messages, private messages, and live chat.

Your cut

Yakcraz

Belicoso
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
What's you favorite way to cut a cigar: guillotine, punch, V? I have all three, but prefer a guillotine. I do keep a punch on my keys just in case.

BigFatPanda

Escaped primate
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Straight.
Sort of.
Confession time:
I use an exacto.
For most, I just slice the "skin" of the wrapper off the end.

For torpedos, I take off a small amount off the tip.
For flat heads, I cut a small circle in the end.

The blades are dirt cheap, I simply replace as soon as it gets dull, and I can precisely trim just what I want.
Used to use guillotines, but my last one got dull about a year ago.
My cigars are in my office/workshop, so I grabbed an exacto one evening to use temporarily, and never looked back.

I look at the cool, fancy cutters from time to time, but I've had nothing but success since I started cutting this way, so I just keep spending that money on cigars instead.
<shrug>

JG358

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Usually use a straight cut, ocasionally I pull out the deep v cut. Haven't used a punch in years.

Bostoneo

Founder
Staff member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Straight cut all the way, and sometimes, but rarely, a V-cut in an X (with a Colibri cutter, the Xikar V cutter is meh).

mitetak

Founder Lite
Staff member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
V-cut all the things - even the torps.

although this past weekend during my golf trip I guillotined it all because thats what I had on hand

Prine

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I usually always straight cut my cigars, but I lost my good cutter somewhere either in the garage or somewhere at the range. So, I picked up a a Colibri V cutter along with some new guillotines. Haven’t tried a V cut before, and never really was a fan of punch cutters.

Almi

Corona
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a number of different punches, cutters and an Xikar V cut but for the most part I always go back to my Cuban Crafters Perfect cut. Thing just flat out dose a great job every time.

jvd1230

n00b
Typically I use a straight guillotine, but some cigars i use a punch on, particularly ones where the wrapper is prone to cracking when cut.

Pennywise827

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Straight.
Sort of.
Confession time:
I use an exacto.
For most, I just slice the "skin" of the wrapper off the end.

For torpedos, I take off a small amount off the tip.
For flat heads, I cut a small circle in the end.

The blades are dirt cheap, I simply replace as soon as it gets dull, and I can precisely trim just what I want.
Used to use guillotines, but my last one got dull about a year ago.
My cigars are in my office/workshop, so I grabbed an exacto one evening to use temporarily, and never looked back.

I look at the cool, fancy cutters from time to time, but I've had nothing but success since I started cutting this way, so I just keep spending that money on cigars instead.
<shrug>
How do you cut your cigars?

Harlan: dissect the foreskin down to the dermal layer...

Jesus man. Love ya....but youre skurry sometimes.

I vary between a straight and a V from that ever so unpopular Xikar V. Maybe thats why I tend to do straight most the times. Will look into the other.