What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Curious

UPTOWNSMOKE

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey fellas, just wanted to know if any of you collect Sports Trading cards and or Comic Books. After a 25+ years hiatus from collecting mostly because of family obligations I just recently started up again. Much different from the 80's and 90's when I collected, especially with comic books. I lost most of my collection to my ex. Don't know if she gave them away or sold them. She won't give me a straight answer.

Anyway just wanted to know if any of you guys collect and if you don't mind post some of your collection.

Gary

Diadema
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I have some baseball cards, not a serious collector but was once when i was a kid. I had thousands of cards in binders and suit cases. I dont have many now but use to pick up a tops every now and then to pick out kc royals cards. I tried to give them to my kids but they dont want them unfortunately.

UPTOWNSMOKE

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have some baseball cards, not a serious collector but was once when i was a kid. I had thousands of cards in binders and suit cases. I dont have many now but use to pick up a tops every now and then to pick out kc royals cards. I tried to give them to my kids but they dont want them unfortunately.

Yeah, my kids are only interested in Playstation, Iphone, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat and horrible rap music.

admartinct

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I wish I got into comic books when I was younger, I bought a big deadpool comic-collection book last year but have yet to try another. Any recommendations?

I'd love to see what some of you guys have, my buddy is a big collector and anothers dad works for Marvel so she has a ton of memorabilia, comic books, etc.

The only cards that have seemed to stay relevant with young kids (pre 10 years old) is pokemon cards for some reason.

Unpossible_1

Creepy CIA Op
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've got tons of sports cards (Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey) and tons of comics laying around in storage. I'd offload them if the market was good for it. NEither of my kids showed much interest and they're both teenagers now.

WestCoastIPA

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’ve got a few thousand cards, mostly hockey from the late 80’s to early 90’s, but a ton of baseball as well. I also have a few hundred comics put away mostly from the early 90’s. I was a young man at the time, so a lot of the young, sexy female lead comics (Witchblade, Darkchylde, The Tenth) that aren’t worth a damn now, lol. But I have a lot of Spider-Man, X-Men, and the like as well. I also have around a thousand Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and Johnny Lightning’s still in their packaging stored away. My kids were never interested either so I’ll just hold on to everything.

Squaresoft

Rothschild
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I don't hang on to collectables generally, I'm not a hoarder. No collection of all the video games/consoles I've ever owned, no collection of baseball or comic cards...although I do wish I had kept all that stuff in retrospect.

Only collectables I still have are alot of magic the gathering cards, cigars, and a bunch of boardgames which have a shockingly robust aftermarket considering how small the print run of some games is.

UPTOWNSMOKE

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I wish I got into comic books when I was younger, I bought a big deadpool comic-collection book last year but have yet to try another. Any recommendations?

I'd love to see what some of you guys have, my buddy is a big collector and anothers dad works for Marvel so she has a ton of memorabilia, comic books, etc.

The only cards that have seemed to stay relevant with young kids (pre 10 years old) is pokemon cards for some reason.

Anything Venom and X23. I noticed people buying the Variant covers.

I recently picked this up. Just love the Cover art.

Batman Damned #1 Variant.jpg

Looking to pick these up.

Detective Comics #880.jpgImmortal Hulk #1.jpgImmortal Hulk #2.jpg

Unpossible_1

Creepy CIA Op
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I will say part of what drove me away from buying and collecting was crazy prices for each one and how the story lines crossed into titles you wouldn't normally pick up. Got too expensive.

UPTOWNSMOKE

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I will say part of what drove me away from buying and collecting was crazy prices for each one and how the story lines crossed into titles you wouldn't normally pick up. Got too expensive.

Yeah it can get expensive but I think I'm going to stay away from all the variant overs and just pick up the regular cover. Also just concentrate on a few titles.

WestCoastIPA

Robusto
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what stopped me from buying cards. Every card company started putting out so many different card sets, I couldn’t keep up. If the card didn’t have an autograph or a piece of jersey on it, it wasn’t worth much.

jasonatjl

Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I used to have a pretty nice collection of sports cards, basketball, football, and baseball. Lots of rookie cards, jersey / floor / ball inserts, serial numbered print runs, etc., I sold my entire collection, probably 1500 cards in individual hard case covers for $300 bucks in 2011. The cost of collecting vs. book values and finding the right buyer for the super exclusive stuff just doesn’t make sense anymore. You have to bust open $100 worth of packs for 1x $50 dollar card, the rest of it is trash. Even $10 cards, unless they’re a huge superstar, there’s very little market for it.

Used to have a large MTG collection wayyyy back from the late 90s - early 00s, there was more value there than all my sports cards.