What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Anyone else a backpack whore?

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
For whatever reason, I've been a backpack whore for as long as I can remember. Forget the fact that I never actually "wear" a backpack, save the couple weeks of vacation a year. I use a backpack daily, just carrying it by the top handle between the Jeep and the Control Room.
I can't walk into Walmart, or Academy without perusing the backpack aisle.
Anyway, I've been killing it as far as overtime for the past year and a half. This is where the problem came to a head...
Is anyone here queer for backpacks like I am?
I could write pages about backpacks, but not to an empty audience. I will say that I've spent $465 in the past month on two backpacks that are both awesome, and yet, fall short of my idea of a badass EDC pack.
There is no such thing as the perfect backpack....
Let me know if I need to continue, as I have a lot to say about high end backpacks.

SoCal Gunner

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For whatever reason, I've been a backpack whore for as long as I can remember. Forget the fact that I never actually "wear" a backpack, save the couple weeks of vacation a year. I use a backpack daily, just carrying it by the top handle between the Jeep and the Control Room.
I can't walk into Walmart, or Academy without perusing the backpack aisle.
Anyway, I've been killing it as far as overtime for the past year and a half. This is where the problem came to a head...
Is anyone here queer for backpacks like I am?
I could write pages about backpacks, but not to an empty audience. I will say that I've spent $465 in the past month on two backpacks that are both awesome, and yet, fall short of my idea of a badass EDC pack.
There is no such thing as the perfect backpack....
Let me know if I need to continue, as I have a lot to say about high end backpacks.
I'm listening !

Before I aged (got fat and old-er), I backpacked through Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Forest with my Kelly.

If that's not what you had in mind, I've been eyeing some Vanquest offerings really hard lately.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Vanquest makes some good products!

For myself, I use them for EDC. I started looking into a new pack about the second week of December. The bag I had been carrying was a cheap Amazon one that had worn several small holes in the bottom. After way too many hours of YouTube reviews of various packs, I settled on a brand called Mystery Ranch. They're based in Montana, and got started in the early 2000's making assault packs for the military. They are known for their tri-zip zipper system. A lot of their bags are made in the USA, but with a VERY steep price starting out at $500 or so.
(Most of these bags are assault packs)
Their cheaper packs are produced in Vietnam, I believe. I didn't want my bag to look too tactical. Molle webbing is great in the right setting, but for an EDC bag, it looks goofy, IMO.
I ended up getting their Urban Assault 24l bag in Ivy green for $165.
It's a damn good bag made from 500D Cordura. The straps are super comfy and it carries well. It has the right amount of organization as well. The only caveat with this bag is it will not stand up on its own. You have to lean it against something, or lay it flat. It has a large dump pouch on the top for quick access. When it's laying down and you unzip this pouch, all your stuff comes tumbling out. Not ideal for EDC. I used this bag daily for around two weeks, and grew tired of my stuff falling out of the top pouch.
Here is a stock photo. I'll post up pics of mine tonight after work.
Screenshot_20210121-054324_Brave.jpg

Last edited:

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So my search for the perfect pack
( that doesn't exist, btw) continued..
I zeroed in on a GoRuck GR1 in 21 liters. These bags are so overbuilt, they would probably never wear out. They come with a lifetime warranty, are made from 1000D Cordura, the carry straps are wide and very well padded. They have a cult following like no other bag out there. The stitching is impeccable, double or some places triple stitched. They too are an American company. They recently sent the bulk of their production to Vietnam to control costs, but still produce a small batch of American made bags for a little more than the offshore made one. ($30 more currently)
I opted for an American made version. Price was $295. That's a lot of coin for a packpack, and if you've never held one of these things, you probably think it's just nuts to pay that much.
I have used a backpack daily for the past 15 years, with an average price of $60, have gone through four of them through the years. Thats $240. "Buy once, cry once" comes to mind.
A guy here at work has one, I found out after buying the Mystery Ranch. I was blown away by the construction.
This is a somewhat simple design, with one zippered pocket on front, and two pockets inside. It does stand up on its own, though. Its a full clamshell opening bag as well.
This bag will never wear out. All my others have worn holes in the bottom due to thinner Cordura.
It's an awesome pack, and am very happy with it. I also love my Mystery Ranch, and plan on keeping that as well for vacations and traveling.
Stock photo:
Screenshot_20210121-061846_Brave.jpg

Last edited:

Gary

Diadema
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I have no need for a packpack, but have thought about this one, which goes back to "I have no need for a backpack"... But...
1. Normal dude walking down the road with a backpack.
2. Shit suddenly hits the fan, deploy the backpack!
3. Now your a badmothafucka and not even Rambo would dare.
Masada-–-Bulletproof-Backpack-Full-Body-Armor-Bulletproof-Vest-IIIA-12-1024x1024.pngZaha-Masada-backpack-iiia-protection-bulletproof-deployed.jpgMasada-Bulletproof-Backpack-That-Transforms-into-a-Full-Body-Armor-Bulletproof-Vest-6-1024x1024.png

Gary

Diadema
Rating - 100%
31   0   0

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have no need for a packpack, but have thought about this one, which goes back to "I have no need for a backpack"... But...
1. Normal dude walking down the road with a backpack.
2. Shit suddenly hits the fan, deploy the backpack!
3. Now your a badmothafucka and not even Rambo would dare.
View attachment 14489View attachment 14490View attachment 14491

Damn, haven't ran across this one yet. Not really my thing, but neat concept.
Most guys I see on YouTube like the Vertx Gamut. Kind of a gray man look, but you can replace the kydex reinforcement panel with a level 3 plate. Other than that, it's a normal pack

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So here are some pics of my two bags.
First is the Mystery Ranch. The tri-zip design is nice. No need to fish around in the pack for something in the bottom.
20210121_172054.jpg

20210121_172123.jpg

20210121_172143.jpg

Last edited:

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Things I don't care for on the GoRuck:
1: Very little organization. Main compartment is basically a dump bag.
2:1000D Cordura is pretty stiff when new. Almost abrasive. Straps are freaking stiff when new. Takes a month or longer to break in.
The owner of the company recommends taking a shower with this thing on to help soften and mold it to your body shape. No thanks.
What I did was follow another guy's advice and soak the bag in the sink in pretty warm water. Used dish soap and a pretty stiff bristle brush and scrubbed the crap out of it. Hung it to dry, then loaded it up with 15lbs of crap and wore it for several hours.
This seemed to help a little on the fabric, but tremendously on the straps.
Not quite comfy yet, but not brutal like when new.
The MR on the other hand was comfy as hell right out of the box. Cordura is half as thick as the GR1 though.
The 500D Cordura used in the MR bag is easily twice as thick as the typical Walmart bag, to give you an idea.
The GR1 has been tested to hold 400# inside the bag by the straps. Thats the difference in durability and materials.
GR1 is probably overkill for EDC, but that's alright. Still glad I bought it

EDIT: Both of these bags have pretty killer laptop compartments in them right behind the plastic reinforcement sheet on the back panel. Both have false bottoms to protect from drops.

Last edited:

Gary

Diadema
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Damn, haven't ran across this one yet. Not really my thing, but neat concept.
Most guys I see on YouTube like the Vertx Gamut. Kind of a gray man look, but you can replace the kydex reinforcement panel with a level 3 plate. Other than that, it's a normal pack
There are some different makers that have them with plate armor just have to look around.

Redneck_toy

Double Corona
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Found the most badass carabiner for packs. It's called the Heroclip, and transforms into a hanging clip for pretty much anything. No more dropping your pack on a nasty floor...
This is the small size
20210125_120740.jpg20210125_120754.jpg

EDIT: One more for size comparison
20210125_121156.jpg

BloodWood

Perfecto
Rating - 100%
53   0   0