What's new
Society of Smoke

Register to get access to post to the forum, chat, and send private messages.

Leaf prep beyond casing

Jim D

Petite Lancero
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm hoping to learn more abut how we can improve the smoking experience, or change it, with how it is prepared.
One example is the mojo and it's smoothing. I've heard, and still have to try, cocoa also smooths leaf due to its effect on the pH.
What have you tried?
How'd it work?

Jim D

Petite Lancero
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the way Ive always treated it too but....what if all that leaf I'm ignoring could be good? I'm going to give it a try, some day...

Bliss

n00b
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the way Ive always treated it too but....what if all that leaf I'm ignoring could be good? I'm going to give it a try, some day...
My hunch is that you can fuck up more good leaf than you can "fix" bad leaf by spraying shit on it. That hunch comes from three years of experimentation, but, you know, grain of salt.

Jim D

Petite Lancero
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea proposed to me was similar to the mojo with its acidic pineapple, a natural high fat cocoa is acidic and can balance the pH of the smoke, making it smoother. I've not yet tried it but plan to try it on some of my less favored leaf. I'll roll a few with and a few without the spray to see what happens.
As we've already determined the mojo to be effective, I'm wondering what else may work.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still a big fan of mojo but I keep it simple and only use it on "harsh" leaf. I did some experiments where I used mojo on everything early on and it made the cigar too smooth. Now I only use it on ligero, and if it is a milder ligero I don't even bother anymore.

The pineapple juice needs to ferment, I let it happen naturally on the counter for about a week. You don't want the sugars, just the acidity. Then I add non-spiced rum, and vanilla. If you add so much mojo you can taste it in the cigar, you have added too much.